Painting Tank

ok guys most of you know i am rebuilding my bike right now and im going to do the vynol wrap... the issue is i have been informed that the wrap will not hold to the tank becasue of the poorouse nature of the plastic and the gas/oil making them peel.

has anyone had their tank apinted on and had good results? not the tank cover but an actuall plastic tank... i got a 4 gallon IMS that im looking at painting... want to know how long it has be holding up for and if there was anything special that had to be done for it to hold to the tank...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I painted my tank with black krylon fusion. I even spilled gas on it and it didnt come off. It looks good and its cheap so thats what I did. The best thing about fusion is it bonds to plastic, good stuff!

With custom paint I dont know how it will hold up on plastic. Mine has been on for 3 months, with no problems. Let me know how it turns out, I would be interested to see how it holds up. I guess if it stick and has good clear it will work fine.

I think if you put some kind of gloss or clear coat on it that it would seal it just like A sticker would,eventully it will bubble from the gas seeping through.I have an IMS tank also and stickers will not hold up,I would like to know if the fusion paint really works.

If you planned on rapping it and it will not stick, your probably using the wrong stuff. Try some 3m professional super trim adhesive. Test in an inconspicuous spot. If that won't work, nothing will. Otherwise I think Krylon fusion is your only choice if not a professional mixture for plastic.

im not sure what he uses.. it talking to majic mike to get them wrapped... either way im talking to a few backup guys for custom painting to see if they have done or know if it can be done with paint and not peel... id like to do a full wrap so it all looks the same but if worst comes to worst i guess ill split the two up...

i have used the wrap on my trx450r.. I had a custom wrap made for the tank.. what i had to do was take off the tank, drain all the gas and let it sit for 10 days with the lid off (i put cheese cloth over the hole to keep the dirt out).. Then i took the wrap down to have it installed... they told me to let it sit for 4 days before filling it up with gas again.. I waited a week and it held up excellent.. It just got wore out from my kneepads rubbing against it.. i got the wrap redone and this time i had them put a clear layer over the wrap on the tank.. i think it was a 4 mil additional protection..

you might have to follow the above but have some little holes cut into to let it breathe.. the main thing is to let it air out before and after.. they say the tank actually soaks up the vapor and lets it out thru the plastic..