Painting Tank

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can use automotive urethane and it WILL hold up if you use the right adhesion promoter. I strongly reccomend duponts 2330s ive seen it used on dirt bike plastics then sealed and airbrushed, cleared and polished. just like show bike. And the best thing is it lookes 100x better than a wrap or :down: vinyl :down::evil:

Why so down on the vinyl? Its half the cost of custom paint and holds up better so why the two thumbs down?

i do paint and body for a living.You should be able to paint the tank with no problem-you have to use the right stuff.To start-are you really going to be pouring gas all over your tank all the time?If you're really worried-be extra careful when filling.You need to use good materials-no wal-mart shit.I spray DuPont but you can go to a paint store and get cheaper lines like Nason,its a cheaper DuPont but equally as nice.Get some (2) grey scotch brite pads,a can of Bulldog adhesion promoter(you can get this at autozone and is a beautiful product-the paint shop recommends and ive used a shit load of it on plastic with no problem),A quart of enamel reducer-(i recommend duponts 3812 enamel reducer or equivelent),a pint of flexible matting agent,sealer if you can spring the money but if not get a can of grey self etching primer-(its for metal but will bite to plastic and give you a good base for color coat),a few mixing cups9take advantage of free strainers and mixing sticks) :woot: ,a respirator, a tackrag and a pkg. of latex gloves and your paint.I would do a basecoat/clearcoat job if u want custom niceness;you know it will hold up to spills-your car does.Heres what you do-put on your latex gloves- 1-Wipe the tank wet to dry a few times using a clean paper towel each time you go completely around the tank.2-scuff that bitch real good with grey pad-it will not scratch coarse enough to reveal any scratches.3-wipe it the same as in step 1 and tack it off with tackrag-(open pkg. and unfold rag to let resin dry for a min)..4-hang the tank and give her a medium coat of Bulldog and let dry for about 20 mins.5-Spray medium wet coat of sealer or shake can of etch primer really good and blow a LIGHT coat to completely cover the tank and let sit for about 10 mins.6-Repeat step 5 if your using etch primer-if using sealer go to step 7 and let sit for about 25-35 mins.7-Spray your basecoat (you can have a paint shop mix you custom colors in aerosol can so you dont have to buy reducers and all that jazz)-as many coats as you like just make sure you give like at least 15 mins between coats-depending on temperature.8-You're ready for clearcoat-i recommend not tacking off again because you dont want resin from tack rag on there-clear might not stick but you can also get a pkg. of dupont sontara final tack cloths for like 2.50 for 3 of them and those have no resin and are made for wiping before and after basecoat with no worries.Anywho-when you get your clear get prob a quart is the smallest and activator.You want a urethane clear-something that you have to activate with a hardener.Add the appropriate amout of flex agent(directions on back of can)and lay 3 medium wet coats with approx 5-10 mins between coats.Put your finger on a piece of painted tape-if you pull up and see strings-you're ready for another.The reason for the flex agent is it actually has adhesion properties and will be able to withstand expansion and contraction with heat or whatever without cracking.Let her dry completely for one day,but it still wont be completely durable for like a week so be careful if you put gas in before the week period.I hope this helped you out.It can be done!!!! :beer:

the issue isnt from the amount of fuel getting on it whe filling... from what i understand its from the plastics being pourus and the gas/oil working through the plastics and making the paint bubble or the vynol wrap not stick... idk if this is correct casue im not in this field im just going off the little info i was told...

well my problem is im going with a custom job... i dont want to fork over the bills and the shit peel off... how long has your lasted for?

It won't peel of if they use the proper vinyl. The Nastycar boy spill fuel all over their cars and you don't see the vinyl comin off do you? :ermm:

It won't peel of if they use the proper vinyl. The Nastycar boy spill fuel all over their cars and you don't see the vinyl comin off do you? :ermm:

i dont think this is the issue from the way i understand it... i could be wrong but from the way i understand him its the plastic being pourus and the gas/oil from inside the tank that causes the viynl to not stick... but like i said i could be wrong.

Why so down on the vinyl? Its half the cost of custom paint and holds up better so why the two thumbs down?

the holding up better comment is not entirely true, You get what you pay for. there is a reason that people are trained in the paint industy. and there is also a reason why you dont buy custom professional products from kragen and walmart!!!!. And second most Airbrush Artists are anti vinyl. Don't get me wrong, vinyl has its place in the industry, it does not have the same jaw dropping properties as a custom paint job does. Thats why you dont see vinly on $100k show cars.....

530, your fukin horrible about responding bakc to pm's... check your inbox i sent you a few questions...

im trying to do 13 diff things on this damn thing.....plus iiiiiii....................tttttttyyyyypppppppeeeeeeeeee..................... sssssssllllloooooooowwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1