i'm stumped

while ice racing the 'shee last winter the engine suddenly quit and wouldn't kick over. i figured the engine had siezed, so i parked it. now as i'm getting ready to work on it, it will kick over after rocking it back and forth in gear a few times. i haven't tried starting it, not wanting to make a bad situation worse. any clues?

humm my first thought was maybe the metal expanded too much and locked up... but then you said it will kick over now? when it wouldnt kick over... was it like it was locked and the kicker wouldnt move or you could kick it and it just wasnt turning it over?

it's like it was locked and the kicker wouldn't move.....when i kick it over now it will still lock sometimes but like what i did before....rock it back and forth in gear and it will free up again.

i would stop turning it over and at the very minumim open the clutch cover and look in there to see if its your kick starter getting jammed... but 99% positive your going ot have to split the cases because you said it died all of the sunnden right?

right...at the time i was just putzing around, going maybe 30mph, and it just quit. i'm thinking bottom end now though, i noticed an oil leak on the stator side that wasn't there before.

after taking the clutch cover off, i took a close look at the gears and clutch. i didn't notice anything bad, or jamming up, and they operated smoothly. i pulled the plugs out to remove any compression and turned the motor over by hand, using a socket on the crank nut and a ratchet with an extension. as i was turning it over, for the most part it would turn freely but then there would be spots where it would either get tight or come to a stop completely. after backing the motor up a bit, maybe 1/4 revolution, it would turn freely again. there didn't seem to be any particular spot where it would bind up, maybe i should have made a mark on the gear to see if it binds up in the same place each time? so now i'm guessing a bent rod or crank (if that's possible). any other ideas?

after taking the clutch cover off, i took a close look at the gears and clutch. i didn't notice anything bad, or jamming up, and they operated smoothly. i pulled the plugs out to remove any compression and turned the motor over by hand, using a socket on the crank nut and a ratchet with an extension. as i was turning it over, for the most part it would turn freely but then there would be spots where it would either get tight or come to a stop completely. after backing the motor up a bit, maybe 1/4 revolution, it would turn freely again. there didn't seem to be any particular spot where it would bind up, maybe i should have made a mark on the gear to see if it binds up in the same place each time? so now i'm guessing a bent rod or crank (if that's possible). any other ideas?

broken piston skirt?

You need to pull the jugs. It may not be a complete siesure but sounds like it is real tight in there. When you rock it back and forth, it will break it loose then catch again. I know it seems like it should stick in the same spot, but you never know exactly what is going on in there. I have seen a circlip come out and wreak some havic and act very similar to what you are saying. Since you already checked the clutch side out, that is about all thats left. If you don't see a problem in the top end, rotate that crank around w/ your hands and see if it is catching at all.

Go ahead & remove the head & cylinders to check em out. It's not really that big of a deal. I've had one seize before & it seemed fine after it cooled. I took it apart & it was partially seized in four different spots. Better to catch it before more damage is done. I was able to clean out the aluminum & re-hone it.

If you seize it more, a bore job might be required...

Edited by David Keith

Im not a banshee guru by any means so take this with a grain of salt. I had my local mechanic tell me that a 4 point seizure is due to lack of fuel or the bike leaning out. I had a skidoo that just up and quite when the guy was riding it. After taking jugs apart it showed the 4 point seizure and thats what the mechanic told me. Sure enough, pulled carbs off and they were clogged.