i'm stumped

you could have pinched a ring,causing it to stick then u broke it free kicking on it. when you open the cases.spin your tranny and shift through the gears, i had my second gear sticking on mine. local shop tore the tranny apart and the brass fitting inside the gear slipped out just a hair causing it to bind.

i pulled the heads and found the the right piston had little chunks of metal imbedded in it, as well as the inside of the head....have no clue as to what how that happened or where it came from. also when i pulled the exhaust, so metal chips came out when i turned it upside-down. i turned the motor over and there was still some tightness in spots but it wouldn't lock up. i pulled the cylinder blocks, there's some light vertical scratching on the right one but the left looks good, still some cross-hatching on the walls. after taking the pistons off i went to check the play on the rod/crank (side to side) that's where i found the tightness. on the right side, as you turn the motor over the rod will get tight on the crank in spots and you have to move it back and forth to free it up. also noticed considerable side to side slop on both rods. i think clymer's states a limit of .040 before the crank has to be reground. i haven't put an indicator to it yet but it seems to be more than that. so it looks like i'll be splitting cases after all. thanks for all the input/replies, they were really helpful. any more suggestions would be welcomed as well!