Losing weight - make the Shee light!

What successes have any of you had out there in making your Banshee as light as possible? Any radical mods out there? I'm looking to lighten mine as much as I can (but must be careful - ride MX), without sacrificing durability. Has anyone seen an aluminum swingarm for Banshees - if so, where? I'd like to hear other people's ideas and what has worked well for them - if you have something really cool, post pics please!

Here's the rundown on my list of weight saving ideas for a MX 'Shee:

Aluminum Swinger (if I can find one)

Hiper Carbon Fiber rims

Aluminum radiator

Custom aluminum subframe (would require frame mods, obviously)

Aluminum or Ti footpegs

Ti bolts on everything possible

Remove lights (req'd for mx anyway)

Trim fenders? (how much weight does this save?)

Aluminum sprocket

Aluminum shifter/brake pedal

Now, for tires, anyone have recommendations on good mx tires that are durable AND lightweight???

Any other ideas? Oh, and does anyone know how much the engine weighs, and in comparison to a 450's engine is it lighter/heavier? Thanks!

1 small thing you can do, is with all the nuts and bolts that have extra thread protruding, cut off all the excess on everyone you can get to.

also, search on here for wiring harness, and cut it down to the bare minimum.

i saw an aluminum swinger on ebay a while back but it didnt specify if it was for drag only. it was gusseted pretty well but it would be iffy IMO for MX use...(it looked nice tho lol).

i think cascade has aluminum pegs? (check rocky mountain atv).

do you have to use plastics for MX? lol. if not , cutoff plastic supports.

light aluminum bumpers.

might be able to find aluminum lug nuts somewhere?

keep the gas level at a bare minimum when racing.

galfer type wave rotors have less material then stock disks.

ditch the parking brake BS.

use pod filters (the foam type are extremely light)

anyone know if the trinity single carb setup weighs less then duals? i would think the Graydon single setup weighs a tad less then trinity.

big money for some aluminum hubs.

ported jugs will help with power and minimal weight savings

i think that cool head type heads weigh less then stock does. (maybe, could be wrong about that)

Edited by Mullet Man

Aluminum Swinger (if I can find one)--- Lonestar and other companies make alum. swinger but they are for drag racing and would NEVER hold up to MX. Get a chromolly swinger. My chromolly swinger only weighs 9 pounds.

Hiper Carbon Fiber rims--- This is where you want to concentrate anything that spins around (rotating mass) you want to cut as much weight as possible but you can't sacrifice strength in MX.

Aluminum radiator--- PWR, Torch works, Ect but most are oversized to help reduce your heat not reduce weight but an engine 20 degrees cooler is worth a couple HP and 10 pounds is only worth 1 (3 pounds if rotating)

Custom aluminum subframe (would require frame mods, obviously)--- I don't think it would hold up but again look in to chromolly I would get a bolt on so if it bent it would be an easy replace.

Aluminum or Ti footpegs--- Alum pegs are easy to find but with MX I wouldn't want my anything but IMS peg JMO

Ti bolts on everything possible--- VERY EXPENSIVE JUST 1 CASTLE NUT FOR YOUR FRONT SPINDEL IS OVER $10

Remove lights (req'd for mx anyway)--- And go with a bare bones harness

Trim fenders? (how much weight does this save?)

Aluminum sprocket--- rotating weight

Aluminum shifter/brake pedal--- the only problem is during your lap the alum tend to bend but that might not be a problem for you

I would also consider and X-33 axle, wave rotors, lightest mx tires (no idea what), lonestar makes alum. lug nuts, and alum. or chromolly front hubs.

In order of importance as far as weight goes is rotating weight, unsprung weight, and sprung weight. Good luck with MX weight is not as important as strength. I would call GT Performance and talk to them.

• 10 years later...