Which pipe to choose!

jlsparky7

Fatties or gnarlys?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ptr mids, hands down, they have the smoothest power of any other pipe. Perfect for wheelies, trails, mx, sand pits.....Anybody can ride anything through a trail and clutch the hell out of it, but the ptr's pull hard, but smooth at a very low rpm right up to 8800rpms...you can lug the motor in a high gear and still have the powerband come in smoothly and pull harder and harder as the rpms climb.

I think that has me sold.

How much do PTR mids run? Ill need the pipe exhaust and ill prolly get a jet kit.

Do they come in anything other than chrome?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ptr mids are expensive. 700 for bare and 900 for chrome....I'd watch ebay if your in no hurry , I see them on there all the time for around 300 bucks. Don't bother w/ a jet kit . Buy 280,290,300 mains, thats all you'll need. Also get a 15 tooth front sprocket. You can buy them bare and have them powdercoated for around 75 bucks at a local metal shop....

ptr mids, hands down, they have the smoothest power of any other pipe. Perfect for wheelies, trails, mx, sand pits.....Anybody can ride anything through a trail and clutch the hell out of it, but the ptr's pull hard, but smooth at a very low rpm right up to 8800rpms...you can lug the motor in a high gear and still have the powerband come in smoothly and pull harder and harder as the rpms climb.

That's a good description of how my Gnarlys perform. The fit and finish are great so far (low hours), but they are chrome and shiney. I heard an FMF silencer that I didn't like (Powercore 2), but I don't know if they needed repacking (also smelled like sulfer). I don't plan on changing the exhaust unless my riding areas change (only been in 6th gear 5 TIMES :banghead: ), but if I ever had to get another exhaust I would try the PT Mids (that bend in the pipe reminds me of a crazy straw :thumbsup: ) for my own comparison; not because I don't like the Gnarlys.

P.S.- I saw the hush type looking system from DMC?, so I don't know if db level's are an issue. I run the "Q" series silencer which are rated 94-96db with no complaints.

Edited by nomad

I thought for wheelies on a banshee you dont want to do them in the powerband because it's just "jumpy?" And if that's the case wouldnt a low-mid end power pipe make the powerband come on a lot earlyer?

Just wondering.....im no wheelie guy for sure :banghead:

I thought for wheelies on a banshee you dont want to do them in the powerband because it's just "jumpy?" And if that's the case wouldnt a low-mid end power pipe make the powerband come on a lot earlyer?

Just wondering.....im no wheelie guy for sure :banghead:

It is just the opposite. Having a highend pipe will make the powerband hit even harder which makes wheelies much harder to control. Have a lowend pipe (where the powerband is lacking with make wheelied a lot easier to control... The transition of power is much smoother therefore makes the power more usable in a situation like that. Which is what makes them such good mx pipes.

Edited by jlsparky7

Exactly, the low/midrange pipes have a lot smoother transition coming into the powerband......I ride wheelies from a dead start right into the powerband to the point where you can ride the edge of the powerband w/o any fault....the powerband comes in a lot earlier, but the hp is low, so you don't have that immediate jump in power. A lot of torque for acceleration, but low hp for smooth power. Best describe it like a 250R, but w/ power. :thumbsup:

This is also the reason why there is so much tires spin on a shee...High rev pipes hit hard and spin the tires too much...low end pipes will come in smooth allowing the tires to catch and pull as the rpms accelerate....Its a different type of power and takes a good day of riding to relearn how to use it...Short shifting, lugging the motor, gearing it up, really makes these pipes shine...

Edited by Banchetta

Well thanx for clearing it up. My powerband ciomes on very violent. I see what you mean a less hard one would be best. When im doing a wheelie and i go into the powerhand, the front end tends to jump higher very quick causing me to slam on the rear brake. :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...
I appreciate your advice. But I said im going to be doing mx and riding some wheelies.

I know it doesnt take a wizard to ride high pipes in the trails. Plus a wizard wouldnt choose high pipes in the trails because they know all.

it also doesnt take a wizard to know that banshees are not good wheelie quads! atleast at low speed. (i now realize this is almost a year old...)

Edited by 2K1Banshee350