Chain Lube For Sand Use...

jayzx10r

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

i read a report that wd40 is actually corrosive and in time will eat your chain away. i use a product called BREAK FREE. its was originaly designed for use on guns to displace dirt and grime in guns used in very poor enviroments where alot of dirt and debries can get into moving parts...my chain is actually the cleanest part of the bike after a desert race, the break free works awesome better than any of the chain wax or lubes sold at local shops..you can buy it at wal mart at the gun counter or at local gun stores

I work at a gym as a pt and own a exercise equipment sales/repair company. WD40 is a enmy of mine very corrosive. I have been out on lots of repairs for grinding parts, ruined plastic bushings, bad rubber seals the list goes on. It's tough to say if it will mess with a chain if your cleaning it after each ride. I really like break free as well. I would steer clear of WD next time you hear a hinge our something squeaking try WD I would garentee that with in a month or less it will be louder then it was before.

I would have to disagree on wd-40 being corrosive. It is not a permenant lube it is to light to last, but because of that it helps to keep the sand from sticking. On door hinges you usually wash out the grease with the WD and after the short term nature of WD you have no lube at all. I agree with anyone who uses it to help protect parts that corrode on their bike. Any bike that has been thru saltwater will have stuff growing no matter how much you've cleaned it, a little once in a while treatment of Wd helps to control it. If I store a bike for a long time in a uncontrolled enviroment I will treat a few areas with WD.

• 1 month later...

I just got some Klotz chain lube that kinda dries so nothing sticks to it. I used in in the sand last week and it worked well. No sand stuck to the chain or anything so I think its good stuff.

I just got some Klotz chain lube that kinda dries so nothing sticks to it. I used in in the sand last week and it worked well. No sand stuck to the chain or anything so I think its good stuff.

The Maxima and PJ1 spray wax I used to use performed great. I have since tried the WD40 thing on reccomendation from a few key folks on here, and I do not believe I will ever go back to the wax. :geek:

The Maxima and PJ1 spray wax I used to use performed great. I have since tried the WD40 thing on reccomendation from a few key folks on here, and I do not believe I will ever go back to the wax. :geek:

im going to start using Tri-Flow, we used it when we raced gokarts and midgets. and we never had any issues. stuffs great.

I wouldnt use anything if my new chain hadnt been so sticky shen I got it. I couldnt get all the sticky off so I put the Klotz stuff on so it didnt stick to much.