popping sound, or miss on hard pull

kellyk

my brothers banshee has a popping sound or miss when ever it is under a hard pull. jetting seems fine. was wondering if it may be a coil or something. my brother says he cant hardly hear it or feel it when riding it. we just came back from winchester bay this week every time he would climb a hill it would sound as if it were backfiring out of the exhaust. it has toomey pipes, ported cylinders stock carbs, k&n pod filters. he was running 340 mains. thanks

my brothers banshee has a popping sound or miss when ever it is under a hard pull. jetting seems fine. was wondering if it may be a coil or something. my brother says he cant hardly hear it or feel it when riding it. we just came back from winchester bay this week every time he would climb a hill it would sound as if it were backfiring out of the exhaust. it has toomey pipes, ported cylinders stock carbs, k&n pod filters. he was running 340 mains. thanks

sounds like its running rich, have you run that setup before with no problems, ie 340 mains same type of gass etc.

sounds like its running rich, have you run that setup before with no problems, ie 340 mains same type of gass etc.

yes we have ran that before we even dropped it to a 320 , 330 , still same thing. I ran 340s in mine all week with no problems.

my brothers banshee did this and we found a loose/halfbroken wire going to the coil.. up under the tank.. fixed it and it ran good after words.. does it run like shit sitting still??? if so have it running and grab the wires and move them see if it runs better when they move at certain points...

my brothers banshee did this and we found a loose/halfbroken wire going to the coil.. up under the tank.. fixed it and it ran good after words.. does it run like shit sitting still??? if so have it running and grab the wires and move them see if it runs better when they move at certain points...
But dont grab the spark plug wires. You might get the shock of your life.

im gonna go with something from your coil on down to plugs. i had the same thing happening to me before teardown and when i looked up into the cap from the side missing and not running great it was all buggered up in there. also the wires were fucked. get yourself some new caps and wires and i bet you will be fine.

you see, under a hard pull your carbs and engine are just packing the ol' go juice into the cylinders and if there is no SPARK to burn that compressed mixture it begins to lugg and pop (which is the equivalent of your exhaust travelling out of the cylinder into the pipe) do you hear a muffled sound leading into this popping sound at all?

Mine did the same thing. Thought it was jetting problem, but rejetting never fixed problem. Turned out my plug caps were bad. Get an ohm meter and test your caps, should ohm out at 5000. Mine ohm in the millons. Your plug cap caps have resitors in them and they are a wear item, many people don't know that. Replaced mine with NGK caps from my local dealer for 2.95 each. Took her out and ran perfect.