YFZ450?

cam2

if i remember correctly when the YFZ450 was first introduced it didn't have a true 450cc engine, then later on YAMAHA changed it to basically a 450cc engine. if this is the case, what model year did this change take place? i may look into buying a used 450 and i wanted to make sure i was looking for one with the newer CC engine.

thanks fellas. according to yamaha's web site ya'all are correct. i didn't check their site until bigboybanshee mentioned it because i figured they wouldn't have info on older models listed.

my other dilema is choosing between a used raptor or a used 450. i won't be racing just trail riding because my banshee is becoming trail UNfriendly, which i plan on keeping.

thanks fellas. according to yamaha's web site ya'all are correct. i didn't check their site until bigboybanshee mentioned it because i figured they wouldn't have info on older models listed.

my other dilema is choosing between a used raptor or a used 450. i won't be racing just trail riding because my banshee is becoming trail UNfriendly, which i plan on keeping.

For trail riding I would look more at the raptor because it has reverse.Thats the One thing I hate most of my shee in trails.NO REVERSE.But I think a 700r is a better buy because it has 1]Reverse]No more jetting]And now they have the yfz shocks so I think they are the complete package

id go with the 450. raptors are too tall, narrow, short and heavy. stock for stock a 450 will put a whoopin on a craptor thru the trails.

For trail riding I would look more at the raptor because it has reverse.Thats the One thing I hate most of my shee in trails.NO REVERSE.But I think a 700r is a better buy because it has 1]Reverse]No more jetting]And now they have the yfz shocks so I think they are the complete package

The no more jetting is a common misconception with the raptors. You still need to adjust your fuel map curves for any aftermarket add-ons you put on there. They have no O2 sensor and will NOT adjust your fuel for you when you mod the bike, you need to reprogram the fuel curve for whatever mods you put on, be it with pre-programmed units available or with one of those t-pot fuel curve adjusters.

- Jared