Compression reading

Motoman

Hey Guys,

I have a 97 Banshee. Does anyone have an idea of what the stock compression should be?. Whats the lowest it should be before I need new rings?. Does anyone know where I can get a good compression tester for it?. Thanks

Stock compression (Depending on your elevation) was probably somewhere around 125 psi. Personally, I wouldn't run it lower than 110 psi. The bike will let you know when the compression is too low, as it will become harder and harder to start.

My compression tester is an older Snap-On unit that is dead on accurate. I have checked it with a Craftsman ($40 at Sears) and one from AutoZone ($20 I think) and both testers were within 2-4 psi of mine.

Stock compression (Depending on your elevation) was probably somewhere around 125 psi. Personally, I wouldn't run it lower than 110 psi. The bike will let you know when the compression is too low, as it will become harder and harder to start.

My compression tester is an older Snap-On unit that is dead on accurate. I have checked it with a Craftsman ($40 at Sears) and one from AutoZone ($20 I think) and both testers were within 2-4 psi of mine.

Thanks for the info. Im new at this Quad thing. I always had Motocross bikes. I hope I dont sound like too much of a dope but was is Plug Chopping?.

Yeah, before my cub my compression was at 85 and if it gets below 100, it is almost impossible to start. Your stock compression should be around 125-135 and yes it depends on your elevation. The higher you are the less air pressure, and yes they should be within a few pounds of each other............ :thumbsup:

have engine warm .. if its cold metal will exspand and give bad reading..it will be close tohu but get it running and warmed up before you check..
Every stock new banshee I have tested was 125. Cold or warm. Probably good idea to warm it up. Take out both plugs when testing to make it easier to kick. No brainer.