can you use a cub on trails

g_low0885

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all hail firemann, as we cower in his shadow!!!

your a fukin tool...

your the same guy that would want to put a 800hp hotrod on a gokart track becasue you can undergear it and make the power "stable" for the track...

as you claim most guys have riddin a 70hp bike in the trails... i HIGHLY dought that... so what the extra 10 for the cub right?

as said 100 times the cub was designed with one thing it mind going fast in a straight line... so to spend money to DE-tune the motor to handle the trials is fukin pointless! get your stockers ported and you dont have to de-tune a thing...you explain to everyone how a drag ported motor with close to no bottom end which is MUCH needed in the trails and more top end then you could ever hope for is a good trail bike?

by the time your motor is getting on the pipe your locking down and starting from 0 all over again...

get your self a good set of breaks if your the idiot thats going to build this motor for trails...and while your at it a nice heavy life insurance policy so your family at least benifits from your jackhole move to try and prove others wrong to simply say you did

in your last few post you made me relize that any advice given by you would be immediately disregarded,

to say dajo dosent know what he is talking about seals the deal on that...he has more then helped TONS of ppl on here without giving bogus info...

Yeah sure thats what I said cower in my shadow. Keep the personal attacks up you guys are surely helping the guy.

Anyone remember who was decking the cubs for more bottom end for racing? Yeah that major builder doesn't frequent the forums anymore after he was personally attacked because most people called him an idiot for doing that.

You are paying absolutely no attention to any of the details, so it goes to show why you think I'm a fucking tool.

I put tens of thousands in my shee when I had it. I had the full spectrum of motors running on it, every pipes from the bottom to the top (except trinity,dg,PT), carb setups from stock to 2into1, to dual 28s to dual 33s to dual 35s. I had suspension setups from works and elka, LSR arms, a durablue axle both standard and extended, swingarms from +2 to stock to -2, lockup clutchs, the race bike clutch plates(can't remember offhand what bike), stock, stock clutch prings, stiff springs, half and half, shift kits, shortened shifters, noss heads, trinity head, PD heads, all around basic cut domes, custom cut domes from Nate McCoy, presure ranging from 150psi to 220psi/cylinder.

and 5 seperate top ends.

I know what it is capable of if you have the patients and time to get it to where you want it. There are so many things you can do to change the hit of the powerband from the top to the bottom, EVEN ON A CUB, smooth out a powerband, gear it to spin the tires when it hits so you dont get thrown into a tree, etc etc. Just because 99% of people buy the cub to go in a straightline doesn't mean it can't be changed to go whereever you want it to go. The cub was designed to upgrade the ports to a more advanced design, something the banshee never saw from the factory, and still use stock parts. Not to go just in a straightline, thats what the Cheetah was for. Hence Cheetah Cub. THey called it a cub for a reason.

Call me a tool, say I'm an idiot whatever. This guy isn't asking for personal attacks. I've been in his shoes, i've quelched naysayers IN THE TRAILS, I have been there, done it, and proven it. The least you can do is give me the benefit of the doubt that maybe,JUST MAYBE it can be done and done right.

Remember just because he gets a cub and trail rides it DOESN'T mean he cannot change anything at all and the motor is worthless. Eventually no matter how much you or anyone wants to deny it, eventually he's gonna want more power to drag somebody. If he already has that power, hidden behind some mods, he can bring it out in less than 30minutes.

I've helped prove my point, so why dont you 06, explain to me exactly how a banshee can't handle the trails in the summer that the snowmobilers in the winter are out racing on with twice the speed and power. Theres a discrepancy in the fact that he can't handle his cub in trails that machines going twice as fast with two, three, and four times the power are managing regularly.

This is not what I wanted guys. I came to offer advice outside the box. Believe me I've been through the ringer over this numerous times from both fellow shee owners and 450, 450r, vforce700 all kinds of guys than after a ride they had a change of thought. It can be done and can be done properly and safely. You also need a life insurance policy regardless of wether your riding a 40hp stock shee or a 110hp ASR bike. THats just common sense.

:yucky: No no no no no, don't listen to this dude in the last post, I think he's about the only person I have ever heard of that reccomends a cub for trails. Don't do it, there are much better setups for much less $$$, a cub on trails is like a top fuel dragster running at LeMans, it just aint happenin'.

The drag chassis isn't ment to be rode other than straight so no it wouldn't. and +6 on a good cub motor is a must? Yeah in the sand when your running paddles, or when your riding on asphalt its nice to have. But if you can feather a clutch, work the revs and launch in 2nd properly you can run a -2. Most trails people are gonna ride aren't gonna be snowmobile trails, where guys with triple cylinder 2 strokes are racing down them a 100mph+ but you can't handle the trail at 60 or 70mph. Get the fuck outta here.

Thank you for proving my point....of how you still don't know shit.

Feather the clutch, work the revs and launch in 2nd gear with a -2 swinger just to ride trail......OR....like everyone else on this forum will tell you, DON'T get a cub for trails.

And...yes, most trails aren't going to be 100MPH trails, so...further cementing my case...

After reading your business practices, and seeing your work, yeah....I have no doubt you spent tens of thousands and went though 5 top ends. Hell, that was probably in the same year as you were ripping off people and lying to them...

You don't deserve the benefit of the doubt...and when every single person on here says one thing, and you're the ONLY one saying another, those reading this can smell and cut through the BS that you're shoveling...

It's funny in the last line of your last post is says "just common sense."

In your case common sense isn't so common....

:shoothead:

FIne whatever yep your right I dont know shit. I went through 5 top ends trying to find the setup that worked for me. I have NEVER blown a top end. You know nothing of my business practices, nor MY welding ability as its obvious you didn't pay a lick of attention as to what ACTUALLY went down not what was rumored and twisted and manifested. Enough with the personal attacks, its lame and a weak way to attempt to win an arguement.

Go back and read his question.

Can they be setup for trails. You guys say no, I say yes they can. Doesn't matter wether you agree with the application they will be used for.

from now on, people should just post 'are cubs trail friendly' in the roostin room... shit... talk about a piss and moan contest... its really, honestly like this... take my lightning... i COULD do i tube chassis, put some giant meaty tires, cage it, put fiberglass fenders, long travel suspension on it, completely set it up as a trophy truck for those desert courses, and instead of using it for its purpose... i could run it down the dragstrip all year instead.. thats what people are saying... why the hell would i do that? why not set it up to drag race, or road courses.... bajaing a lightning is like trail riding a cub or such... yeh you could try and do it, but with all the money youll spend making it trail friendly (like fireman said, he spend tens of thousands?) you could just say f it and buy a cub or cheetah to drag, and a ported 4 mil for trails... im gonna go buy an r1 and use it to ride on dirt bmx jumps... dont say i cant, ill spend tens of thousands to make it work. you watch.

im with dave... as i bet EVERYONE on the forum is.

Edited by nicktoney

FIne whatever yep your right I dont know shit. I went through 5 top ends trying to find the setup that worked for me. I have NEVER blown a top end. You know nothing of my business practices, nor MY welding ability as its obvious you didn't pay a lick of attention as to what ACTUALLY went down not what was rumored and twisted and manifested. Enough with the personal attacks, its lame and a weak way to attempt to win an arguement.

Go back and read his question.

Can they be setup for trails. You guys say no, I say yes they can. Doesn't matter wether you agree with the application they will be used for.

To be honest Chris, I probably jumped the gun just a tad by taking offense to your comment of "I can't ride trails" etc.

So...I was probably a little more bold than I needed to be. But All I know of your business practices, and yes...I read ALL of the threads...is you came up on the short end of it.

So, either you didn't defend or portray yourself properly, or you're lying. I'll never own Rocket Pipes...so it really doesn't matter to me. However, if you read my posts to the new owners, I am 100% behind them with support (moral, not financial) for them to rebuild the brand and be successful... A good business plan is a good plan, and more choices are always good for us, the riders who support the sport. There are several users here that are Rocket fans...I don't happen to be one of 'em. And, I might add...I actually TRIED a set, I'm not just talking out of my arse.

here is the bottom line, there are several ways to skin a cat. You can ride a cub on trails and it makes about as much sense as putting a turbo and nitrous on the family minivan to head up to the grocery store.

Sure, anything can be done....but is there a better way? Yes....and cheaper I might add.

All I'm trying to say...period. So, I'll stop the banter if you will. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on what a cub should and shouldn't be used for. Fair enough?

Dispite the argument, This post helped me in my decision like you cant believe. Im going to build the 4mill with a port job. 2 car wide thails arent the only trails i run. But i definatly am going to buy another Ban with a cht/cub kit. Good points made on both sides. To me it sounds like for the cost ill be happier with a bike set up both ways more than triying to do both with one. my bros 250-500 is trailable but its a monster and can get pretty hairy. I just want the title back. And Daj has always been one of the first guys on this site to answer my Q's and has helped me out tremendessly. THANX!

why not have the 4mil stroker, dune port it, get a timing plate, put it at +4... get 20cc domes depending on elevation and all the complementing mods.... then say you wanna drag or haul ass, swap the domes, and increase the timing... dump in some race gas and have a blast

I have a 350 cub w/21cc domes so I can run pump gas in, it has 30mm carbs CPI pipes VForce reeds etc. I didn't have to spend any extra money to set it up for that just the usual clean up port and a set of domes.

It does have a very narrow powerband but I trail ride it, It's a handful because you you never go if it's going to spin or hook up and stand straight up when you get on the throttle but it's a fuckin' rush like nothing else I driven.

Lots of throttle and lots of clutching

So yes they CAN be trail driven but NO they probably aren't the best but they sure are fun! If I wanted a smooth powerband I would have bought a 4 stroke

Edited by Tim C

I've ridden my Cub in trails, it's just not fun :banghead: , and your riding on a bunch of money you don't get to enjoy; but it's worth it to go on a few trips to wide open areas or dirt drags occasionally. I ride my YFZ in the trails mostly and leave the Cub parked until I go somewhere else. 4-stroke + Cub= best of both worlds to me!! :biggrin:

Edited by J-Madd