Broke a tooth off my clutch basket

okbeast

Like the title says I broke a tooth off of the outer clutch basket last time I was reassembling it. I already have one bought from NYUK but it might not be here in time for our next planned riding trip so I was curious if it would be ok to run it like this or would everything be too out of balance? Another idea was to break a tooth off the opposite side of the basket to try to "balance" things out. Let me know what ya'll think.

Like the title says I broke a tooth off of the outer clutch basket last time I was reassembling it. I already have one bought from NYUK but it might not be here in time for our next planned riding trip so I was curious if it would be ok to run it like this or would everything be too out of balance? Another idea was to break a tooth off the opposite side of the basket to try to "balance" things out. Let me know what ya'll think.

i wouldnt do it,you might start tearing up other internal parts.if your clutch basket starts to come apart while youre riding you might end up killing your tranny. :banghead: :shoothead:

ive rode 3 trips with a tooth broke off on my clutch basket ran fine, finally bought a new clutch basket though, oh yea the idler gear had a washer and a clip come off, dont know if that was the cause? One ride i would think you would be fine, hell mine to this day never made any wierd noises or anything either.

If you are willing to pay out of your pocket whatever additional damages occur by running it...then I'd say go on the trip...

Otherwise, wait...and change it.

You can run across the freeway in traffic and not get hit by a car...but, odds are against you.

If you are willing to pay out of your pocket whatever additional damages occur by running it...then I'd say go on the trip...

Otherwise, wait...and change it.

You can run across the freeway in traffic and not get hit by a car...but, odds are against you.

lol good analogy Dave :thumbsup:

From plain eyesight there is no cracks or anything in the rest of the basket. If balance is an issue I am curious if taking a tooth off the other side would work or not. I've been off all damn break and haven't been able to ride cuz this stupid thing's been broke. That's what you get with a 2-stroke tho.

From plain eyesight there is no cracks or anything in the rest of the basket. If balance is an issue I am curious if taking a tooth off the other side would work or not. I've been off all damn break and haven't been able to ride cuz this stupid thing's been broke. That's what you get with a 2-stroke tho.

why ask a question and then do what you want to do anyways? Its like you wanted someone to say yeah ride the piss out of it and it will be fine, and then when it breaks you could say its the guys fault in the forum. Get a new one or take the chances, I think you were going to take the chance anyways so why even ask for help.

why ask a question and then do what you want to do anyways? Its like you wanted someone to say yeah ride the piss out of it and it will be fine, and then when it breaks you could say its the guys fault in the forum. Get a new one or take the chances, I think you were going to take the chance anyways so why even ask for help.

Yep..I think he made his mind up and just came here to BS and solicit opinions.

I guess if he breaks it good, bends a crank, etc., then it's our fault...but it's still coming out of his pocket...either way.

Tear it up...make the trip. If you had to make it back to camp, that's one thing, but to ruin a whole trip from the get go...just ignorant IMO....

Just because it might run and go doesn't mean you're not doing long term damage elsewhere....trust me, cranks, tranny, etc. doesn't get cheap, plus...splitting the cases, etc. Right now, you could pull a side cover, replace it, buy a new gasket and fluid and you'd be set.

You're risking a WHOLE lot more than that....