Camcorders for Helmet cams

fox_forma

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing this back up. I was going to go with the bulletcam with 480 lines and came across something like this... http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-ATC-2000-COLO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have any input on something like this? This would make life pretty damn simple if its just strap on and go. Wouldnt have to worry about busting up my camcorder on some nice NE trails where i ride. Either way no big deal. Just thought I would ask.

Im going to save a buncha cash and use a security cam like Wallrat suggested. I looked into it and found out that they work great and "real" helmet cams are nothing more than these security cameras. A battery pack and a camera mount will still be needed. Iv seen video of a 480 res security cam used on a quad it looked really really good.

I bought a Tony Hawk helmet cam for 50 bux...works better than I expected. It's about the same quality as a webcam but it's plenty good for posting on the web. Only downfall is it seems to have an auto-shutoff after 5 minutes...then you have to hit record again.

the security cam seems like a cheap way to go but the conditions I ride in I dont know if it would hold up. Like mentioned someone else used it and it didnt last real long. Maybe if I was out west in the open areas with sand it would but I deal directly with tight single track when on my RM with tons of trees, rocks etc. I think I'm going with the Bullet cam since it also offers a warranty. Also looks like the Canon Elura 100 is going to be the camcorder or choice as well

well guys just figured I would update this. Went with the Canon Elura 100. Wasnt to pricey, about $370, then got the 4yr plan on it where if it breaks or anything I get a new one with no questions asked, etc. Takes care of the chance of crashing and it breaking in pieces. Also went with the bulletcam 480 line option. Waiting on that to arrive, hopefully be here anyday now but will prob take forever to show up like everything else.

good choice to go with the 480 line resolution cam. The 380 is alright, but even on a regular size tv you can notice the picture quality a little bit (not a lot but its still there)

I've got a 60 inch HD TV and the picture is still pretty darn good with my 480 line cam. My buddy has the 380 and when we go from his video to mine, its quite noticeable.

good choice to go with the 480 line resolution cam. The 380 is alright, but even on a regular size tv you can notice the picture quality a little bit (not a lot but its still there)

I've got a 60 inch HD TV and the picture is still pretty darn good with my 480 line cam. My buddy has the 380 and when we go from his video to mine, its quite noticeable.

Yeah I heard the 480 was the way to go so I figured why not spend a few extra $$ for it. Do you use any different lenses for it? Also kinda off topic but do you transfer the vids you take to your comp? What program do you use if so, I have a few different ones but just not sure what captures the best. Some of them seem to use a lot of PC RAM and it gets a little iffy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of upgrading my computer, well, getting a new one actually. The computer I'm getting is geared toward media, so I'll be able to do a lot of editing of my tape.

Right now I have a philips or panasonic dvd recorder. It's got a firewire connection on the front of it and I just plug my camera right into it and press record. The recorder was only 150 bucks and for the most part its nice to have the whole footage on tape. The recorder has a little bit of editing, like you can take out from this part to this part, or you can add chapter titles in wherever you want to skip around like if have sitting at basecamp, going out to the trail, gnarly hillclimb, jimmy breaks his fingernail trying to pop his chain back on cause he's an idiot and didnt tighten it to much, etc etc.

good luck with it, my advice is to not use a fanny pack, they are a pain in the ass. Get a backpack that has a waist strap and a chest strap. Mine is an Ironman pack and it came with little ear headphones that wind from in the backpack up through the shoulder straps and came out of the shoulder straps for your ears. I pulled the headphones and stuck the microphone, lan remote, and camera through the straps and everything is attached to the backpack except the camera. If I want to take it off, I just unvelcro the helmet cam and its off.

Make sure you get the Lan remote. It's kind of expensive, but it makes things so much nicer to turn the camera off and on, know when you're running out of tape, and when your battery is dying. Believe me, its a pain in the ass if you dont have one