one pipe smokes BAD

chevy7398

hey everyone,

well i finally (after a year of being torn down) got my shee together enough to start it, after it warmed up good i gave it a few blips of the throttle one pipe barly smokes but the other seems like it aint even firing and just blows smoke real bad, put my hand behind it and its like there is no pressure like it aint firing, the hole top end is new and i dont have a clue what is causing this, i pulled the plugs the side that smokes was clean as a whistle and the side that dont the porcelin was a little brown it will sit there and idle just fine what is causing this??? and how do i fix it???

Hmmm, if that's the case, then you could have a broken reed, although it would idle like shit. I would check and double check the needle clip positions, jet sizes, pilots, etc. There is a chart here that shows possible jetting problems depending on where in the throttle range you are having problems, think it's in a FAQ at the top of the jetting forum.

hey everyone,

well i finally (after a year of being torn down) got my shee together enough to start it, after it warmed up good i gave it a few blips of the throttle one pipe barly smokes but the other seems like it aint even firing and just blows smoke real bad, put my hand behind it and its like there is no pressure like it aint firing, the hole top end is new and i dont have a clue what is causing this, i pulled the plugs the side that smokes was clean as a whistle and the side that dont the porcelin was a little brown it will sit there and idle just fine what is causing this??? and how do i fix it???

ok so just double checked my carbs, both needles are in the same clip and both jets are the same, also tried switching the plug wires thinking maybe i had a bad wire but no luck still the same

Which side is smoking real bad,are the carbs synced close?

as you sitting on the bike it would be the right side, the carbs should be "fine" it ran perfect for 3 years took the carbs off put them into ziplock bags took them out changed the main jets and put them back on, nothn else was touched on the carbs, the other side clears out great while this side sends the thickest whitest smoke cloud out

Hold your hand behind the pipe that smokes and give it some gas. If it is sucking tranny oil through your crank seal or leaking between the case halves, it will cover your hand w/oil. If it does spray oil, you can take the pipe off that side and dump oil out of it. Does it rev out still, and just blow mad smoke?

Hold your hand behind the pipe that smokes and give it some gas. If it is sucking tranny oil through your crank seal or leaking between the case halves, it will cover your hand w/oil. If it does spray oil, you can take the pipe off that side and dump oil out of it. Does it rev out still, and just blow mad smoke?

ill check in the morning, havent reved it to high its still on stands and has not been brokien in with no suspension or plastic but it seems to rev fine just blows crazy smoke, if it is sucking trany oil can i change the seals with the motor in the bike or do i have to take the motor back out, that would be a real kick in the ass as i finally got it back in

Keep an eye on your transmission oil level. See if it starts dissapearing. Mine was doing the same thing it was the crank seal. It ran enough oil thew the RH cylinder that the piston was spotless. It washed all the carbon right off the top of the piston.

well i started her up and reved it a bit with my had behind the silencer and it covered my had with oil, so i guess it is the crank seal, so how do i change that is it hard??