Gearing? What do you like?

LiftdT4R

Ok, it's finally time to go ahead and put some sprockets on my 2001 build. I had a -1 up front, which I think was 12, possibly 13. Anyway, I wanted to go up a couple teeth on the rear for a little more low end. I ride mostly trails, some of which can be tight, and I'll go to the track sometimes, but it's nothing wide open. I was wondering what gearing combos yall like, and how you ride? I don't wanna be messing around changing sprockets too much after I have this thing together, so your input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Just my opinion but I don't understand why everyone preferes to go shorter on the gears when first gear is almost useless in stock form. 15/41 for me and love it. I use my Shee for everything. Just this past Sun. I rode 15+ deep in the Berlin/ Medford area and did some jumping, trail riding, street cruising, and some sweet 10 wide sand drags and my setup did not let me down in any area.

Most of my buddies run 12/43 or 12/45, and the reason is when we crawl around the dunes it's sorta nice to have a few granny gears to play with. Ya, I'm sure you could go a few more teeth to gain some more top in. But I have found you really need to try a few setups to find the one that works best for you. :beer:

Most of my buddies run 12/43 or 12/45, and the reason is when we crawl around the dunes it's sorta nice to have a few granny gears to play with. Ya, I'm sure you could go a few more teeth to gain some more top in. But I have found you really need to try a few setups to find the one that works best for you. :beer:

That's what I figured, I love the -1 up front. I like the low end, we do some nasty hill climbs too, so I do;t mind having the at most the first 2 gears as granny gears. I'll probably end up trying some different combos. I want to stick with the -1 up front, but I wasnt sure wethter to order a 41 or bigger for the back. I have a decent amount of torque as it is, the +4 timing and milled ehad should help enough with the low end.

I run 13/42 and absolutly think it rips...........a buddy of mine that built my motor......(now hes MIA)......said that is what he ran and had no problems...........it works perfect for me........

ill be running 15/43,at olds next time i go.but for bottom end is it the opposite,like 15/40 or 14/39,not sure but i think iam right. :beer:

unless maybe you running paddles or something 1st gear is basically useless on a banshee. i dont even use 1st except when im putting through the campgrounds or loading the banshee on my trailer. otherwise i just start out in second everywhere.

well that was back when i had a 14t up front. now that ive got a 15t 1st is still nearly useless but ive got to slip the clutch a little more than id like to start out in 2nd so i use 1st as a crutch to get to 2nd.

and all i really do is trail ride. a bigger front sprocket means longer gears so i dont need to shift so much. i can keep it in the right rpm's and just keep pulling when other people are shifting like formula 1 cars.

another thing to mension is that the average trail banshee just spins through the first few gears anyways. adding taller gearing will help reduce the spinning.

this little neighbor kid and i raced around some trails. he had a 400ex and some really short gearing. all he did was shift constantly. meanwhile i stayed in 3rd most of the time and occasionally dropped down to 2nd. i had asked him about the gearing and he mentioned he had taller sprockets at home. i told him to put them on and well race again another day. when that day came he was alot faster around the trails. i still beat him good though but he really was alot quicker.

I agree. I ride trails alot and run a 13 up front. I use the lower gears alot and top end is something I don't really need more of where I ride.

Another vote for 13/41 (I'm running 22" tires). Where I ride I still don't use 6th except cruising down the gravel roads. It's nice to be able to crawl in first though when riding with the wife, or those utility quads. When riding with faster riders, I still only need 3rd-4th, so it's not a whole lot of shifting.

Another vote for 13/41 (I'm running 22" tires). Where I ride I still don't use 6th except cruising down the gravel roads. It's nice to be able to crawl in first though when riding with the wife, or those utility quads. When riding with faster riders, I still only need 3rd-4th, so it's not a whole lot of shifting.

I'm running 13/41 now with 20" rears, and I must say I like it so far. I went out and rode once on it, and it gives some nice lower end. I will be running 22" snow tires this winter, and all the snow riding I do is wide open, so the 22s should make the gearing taller again. The 13/41 combo pulls really nice though, I'm pretty happy so far, 1st gear is basically useless with this setup though, I don't even bother with it.