Tire size (Front vs. Rear)?

black sunshine

So 1" bigger in front is the way to go? I thought that judging by the stock setup but I was pondering having some 22" rears at some point for springtime riding or nastier trails, but I dont want to buy another set of front tires just for those special occasions. Wanted to cheat the gap a little but the 20's would stay on the back for the majority of the year.

Thought this was an appropriate forum, I ride mostly trails. Going to shell out some greenbacks for new tires. Going with 20's in back, my question is do I want 21,22, or 23's for the front? Dont know and dont want to buy the wrong size, thanks!!

I trail ride only. 21" Kenda claws on front and 22" Kenda Bear Claws (good mud tire) on rear. Since a lot of the trails I ride are 4x4 ruted up,,,the 22" on the rear helped a lot. They did make a big difference in gearing though (have 13T front spocket on the way). Had 18" on rear when I got it and I was constantly dragging the ground. I like this set-up much better.

You can run whatever size difference you want. The only thing is the front to rear ballance. Bike was already set-up with TCS shocks when I got it. Before changing tires, I measured frame height with me on it, front and rear. I think the rear was like 1/4" higher. After putting on the new tires, I adjusted rear pre-load to have the same 1/4" difference, front to rear. That way the weight bias would be the same.

Sounds picky, but I really liked the way it handled when I got it,,,,so I just wanted to try and keep it the same. I did notice the new/bigger tires, are heavier. The bike is also just a little more tippy, but some of that may be new tires, good tread, better traction, not just being higher off the ground.

Hope that helps a little?? :biggrin:

I trail ride only. 21" Kenda claws on front and 22" Kenda Bear Claws (good mud tire) on rear. Since a lot of the trails I ride are 4x4 ruted up,,,the 22" on the rear helped a lot. They did make a big difference in gearing though (have 13T front spocket on the way). Had 18" on rear when I got it and I was constantly dragging the ground. I like this set-up much better.

You can run whatever size difference you want. The only thing is the front to rear ballance. Bike was already set-up with TCS shocks when I got it. Before changing tires, I measured frame height with me on it, front and rear. I think the rear was like 1/4" higher. After putting on the new tires, I adjusted rear pre-load to have the same 1/4" difference, front to rear. That way the weight bias would be the same.

Sounds picky, but I really liked the way it handled when I got it,,,,so I just wanted to try and keep it the same. I did notice the new/bigger tires, are heavier. The bike is also just a little more tippy, but some of that may be new tires, good tread, better traction, not just being higher off the ground.

Hope that helps a little?? :biggrin:

:thanks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When i set my banshee up for harescrambles, i had input from andy lagzdins, a pro rider on the gncc when i was ordering my carbon fiber Hiper Techs. So i went with ITP GNCC series 22x7-10 on the front and ITP XCR 20x11-9 in the rear. I also dropped the front sprocket 1 tooth. The taller tire gave me alot more clearance in the front and are light enough to hit alot of the jumps on the MX tracks when they incorporate them into harescrambles. I just ran a 3-hour buddy harescramble at Tomahawk, WV on Sunday and had no mechanical issues. 6 laps on a 8 mile course with some very technical sections with nothing but rocks and boulders and 4 miles of motocross. My banshee didnt want to nose dive or anything.

I would like to see a pic of mudlites on a banshee...i was looking at them they look cool.

if i was going to run mudlights i would do the new mudlight s/p 20/11/9 they weight in at 17 pound and holeshot xcr weights in at 16.5 so your not going to gain that much weight

Raz'r 21/7/10 Front. Raz'r II 20/11/9 Rear.

It's what I got and is stock tire size.

P.S. Changing tire size on the rear will change your gearing.

on the measurements like 20-11-9 that means

^height of tire

^width of tire

^rim diam.

right? so i got 20-10-9 now can i get away with 20-11-9 i dont want to get new rims.

on the measurements like 20-11-9 that means

^height of tire

^width of tire

^rim diam.

right? so i got 20-10-9 now can i get away with 20-11-9 i dont want to get new rims.

yes you can use the rim you have now