my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

stock brake lines, plenty of slack too play with. :thumbsup: (writeup on the 1st page lays it all out for you!)

LT shocks will get your ride clearance back for sure.

i hope you do try this, as you are one of the more extreme jumpers i have seen using a Banshee. it would be a perfect test bed.

it would be ideal if you held onto the stock YFZ shocks and jumped with those and gave us feedback. then switched to LT shocks and did the same jump and gave us more feedback!

if i thought it was worth it, i would already have YFZ LT shocks on mine but i'm not spending that kind of coin. twas the whole point behind me doing this!

keep us updated! :thumbsup:

Edited by Mullet Man

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: :notworthy:

when i finally get some time off from work (no idea when it will be lol), i'm going to have the spacers made too fill in at the lower a-arms. i will send you the 4 that you will need.

print out the pictures also, they will help tremendously

Edited by Mullet Man

Awesome man! I will get plenty of pics along the way. Just put some lights in the tobacco barn so I can do this swap under a roof and not outside, now I dont have to move it to get it out of the rain! Should make it alot faster. I will keep you posted as I get parts in.

:thumbsup:

i'm just gonna have a shop cut up a long tube of aluminum in 3/8"-7/16" sections for the spacers. should have quite a few when done. they might need a little trimming to fit but should be close from the get go.

this way, the dust caps can be used over the bushings and then the spacers can go on the outside of them.

i am in the process of designing my new a-arms, should be sweet. going trophy truck style: boxed steel lowers, milled aluminum uppers. big heims with his-mis spacers on the ends too. eventually i may make my own spindles so the y-axis travels in rotation instead of the x-axis. pretty much im gonna rotate the joints 90*.

Edited by gimmeabeer

Hey guys just finished my swap, however I used the 06' yfz a arms and tie rods. The only differance I found was that the 06 Tie rods are heavier duty. They are 12mm not 10mm like all the older yamahas. This is one of the 80 some upgrades that yamaha did to the yfz in 06. Hopefully, this will help anyone that is trying this swap with newer parts. Make sure that you either order new 06 ends or you get the ones with the tie rods, when you buy them.

Great write up Mullet, when your in town some time we will have to get together to go riding.

Im surprised that noone has addressed this but it seems like it sits alot lower. Wont it bottom out on large jumps. I mean its for mx purposes and there are large jumps on alot of tracks. It seems to me that the bottom of the bike would hit the ground on those jumps.

With the banshee standing next to my yfz they are about the same height in front, I ride mx and will be testing the setup on the SHEE tomorrow and will let you guys know. I have ridden it everyday on some trails here and it really rides well and I dont have any clearnace issues on the trails either. I would say that the frame is about 10" off the ground in front.

I am really happy with this setup.

Also, I cant use my stock tie rods can I? The yfz tie rods didnt come with the a-arms.

nope, stockers are too short.

i would just order a custom pair from NOSS machine, he said he could do any length for $39.99 out of (i think it was T6) aluminum. 13-13.5" would work nicely. the stock YFZ tie rods will work but dont thread on as far as stock stuff does.

stock yfz tie rod is 12-3/8".

when you order some, get about ~13-1/4" for a Banshee

Edited by Mullet Man

With the banshee standing next to my yfz they are about the same height in front, I ride mx and will be testing the setup on the SHEE tomorrow and will let you guys know. I have ridden it everyday on some trails here and it really rides well and I dont have any clearnace issues on the trails either. I would say that the frame is about 10" off the ground in front.

I am really happy with this setup.

great news man! i havent yet had a chance to take mine too a riding spot. only been able too ride ditches as of late.

would you get some pictures of your setup as well as maybe 1 or 2 next to your YFZ?

that would be great for this thread!

,ammm for x mas i was gonna buy some a arms but i found my frames is broke very bad lol this sucks for im got to buy a new frame o well shit happens

or you could take it to a muffler shop that welds kids toys for free. they are all over the place down here. they should be able to put your shit right back together if its just cracked.