Light bulbs - which wattage?

feedmelies

Okay guys. I openly admit that I am not so savvy with electrical components. I bought my quad about 6 months ago with every mod done already, so I have figure out why certain things were done to it every once in awhile.

Well, I have an aftermarket light kit from Lazer Star - http://weekendconcepts.com/yamaha-atv-kits.html

I have their kit for the stock location and the kit for the handlebars, which gives me four lights total. I never saw the lights work except for when I bought it, and at that time they were fully functional. But I recently noticed that one of the bulbs in the stock location had broken inside. So I headed down to Weekend Concepts to pick up some spares. One problem though - I forgot check the wattage of the bulbs I have on my bike. The associate suggested to me that I probably had 50 watt bulbs. So I bought two 50 watt bulbs and left. When I got home, I found out that I have 20 watt bulbs in the stock location and 35 watt bulbs up by the handlebars.

So here is my question. With a 200 watt stator, what is the maximum amount of wattage can run I properly with my headlights? When I bought my bike, the seller told me I could do something along the lines of adjusting the stator to produce more power, or doing something to get more juice to the headlights. What exactly did he mean? So, can I run the 50 watt bulbs up top and maybe move my 35 watt bulbs to the bottom? More light is better, since I'll be hitting up Glamis quite a bit soon enough.

Thanks for the help.

take the lower two off and just put in two 75s up top. Its kind of hard to find the 75s with the glass cover though. You will have to call some specialty shops.

I have 4 headlights and I have a 200 watt ricky stator and I use 45watts in all 4. I think you can use up to 200 watts, I'm not the best at electrically either.

Keep in mind that the stock bike puts out around 80-85 watts from the stator. It has two 35 watt bulbs. That's 10-15 that the bike probably needs to run itself and generate spark. 200-15= how much you can suck out of your stator with fancy lights.

Never really looked at it, but i think the spark generation and the portion of the coil that produces the power for accessories are different coils. So maybe you really could use the full 200watts to power junk on your ride. I wouldn't suggest that though.

My suggestion is to float the ground, get a battery and convert it to DC. You could run your lights and stuff without the bike running and could probably run a little bit more than you could with just the stator since your batter is acting like a massive capacitor in the electrical system.