Street Legal?

This may be a strange question, but does anyone know if certain states allow 3 or 4 wheelers to be street legal? This is assuming they would have all the proper lighting of course. I'm curious

i havent ever heard of any of the 48 staes allowing it but i havent lived in all 48 to be 100%

Thanks for the reply,

I have seen a picture of street legal 1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 250 but I believe it was from Europe. The bike was converted for the street by its owner.

To me if you had street tires, turn signals and a plate I really don't see why you couldn't do this. I 'm refering to off highway use of course. Just as an example, say you took a Raptor and performed this conversion. I would think that would be fine around town.

Gears

Edited by Gears & Crosses

This may be a strange question, but does anyone know if certain states allow 3 or 4 wheelers to be street legal? This is assuming they would have all the proper lighting of course. I'm curious

ive heard of people doing it in arizona,but i think only the 4strokes are ollowed. :shrug:

one of the stoppers for this is a differental. i am pretty sure that a solid axle is not to be used on-highway. i thought i read that somewhere. on the flip side the newer 4x4s w/diffs could possibly be used if big brother would let us. man that would cool....... dont know if i could get to work if i rode my shee. i think temptation would get the best of me. :beer:

there are a few that have done it, rappies and banshees, but they used streetbike swingers and a single rear tire. there was a jackass on here that did it and asked not so politely for you not to ask him how he did it.i would suggest you google it. bluetraxx had the raptor guy. rode it cross country.

Thanks for all the replies guys,

I think it would be so cool to ride around town, don't you think?

I could see the differential being a problem. But I think there would be some states that didn't catch on to that in there rules.

It would be neat to cruise around on a 350X or 700 Raptor. My Banshee actually rides excellent on the street, like it was made to do so.

I would think it would be hard to get insurance also.

How would you find out the laws / rules about this?

What do you think?

Gears

From what i know there are no states that allow quads to be street legal.

There are some town's usally in rural area's that are "Quad Friendly" and you can ride around the streets and throughout town.

When it snows by me everyone rides quads on the streets. Me and like ten of my friends ride in the snow passing cops all the time they won't even hesitate to do anything as long as you follow the rules of the road, all of us even parked in front of the pizza place and ate lunch and at least two cops passed by.

This topic always comes up in conversation. It would great if they could make them street legal. It would take alot of money and politics to do so. So i don't think it would happen especially with all those tree huggers.

I think this is a really good question. In Louisiana, there are no laws that say a quad can not be made street legal. I don't see any difference between street kitting a dirt bike and street kitting a quad, as far as the RS code book.

It may be fun if someone with some money could force the issue and see what happens. I think it is not allowed, only because it isn't done. BMW importing their new street legal quad ($50,000 street quad) may open some doors.

Sport quads would be ideal because they are capable of cruising at highway speeds (posted speed limits on secondary roads). Smaller engines would also be less emissions and better fuel economy than driving you truck to work.

I remember a long while ago, got to be at least 5-7 years, there was an advertisement for street legal kits in Dirt Wheels. Like NYUK said, it was a kit that made the bike into a single rear wheel, because you are not allowed to drive anything that has a solid axle without a differential(great for straight line, not so much handling). I know a lot of states do motorcycle emissions so a banshee definately wouldnt pass.

Anyway If my banshee was street legal, that shit would be nice as hell, no more loosing races to high shool kids in rice burners, bth my trucks are slooooww as shit so it would be nice to ride something fast on the street.

The best way to do it is find out your local registration laws and try and find a loophole in them to allow it. Chances are it'll be extremely difficult, close to impossible but there just may be a way! You can hang up getting insurance on it to drive on the streets, lol

I don't see what the big deal is....as much as these environmental tree hugging hippies bitch about emissions and using up the world's natural resources, you would think they'd try and encourage making a quad street legal; I think less people would trail ride if they could rip their quads around town...I know I would! :woot: Think about how much gas we'd save overall...I could go to work and back for a week on two tanks of gas riding my 450, I burn that much in a day driving my truck :shrug:

quads are not fuel efficent at all. i get about 10mpg out of my banshee just cruising around 35mph on smooth road.

years ago there was a company in south florida that made quad conversions. they claimed they could make any quad street legal. i remember seeing some of their quads around down, it looked like alot of fun. for some reason they went out of buisness.

i remember they ran car wheels, like 17's and shit. it was crazy.

Thank god we don't have all those crappy laws here...

2 stroke-4stroke-straight axle- diff all are allowed.. only thing you need is brake light signal lights head lights.. no helmet for atv .. only motorcycles.. :beer:

Edited by Mike_1978