Banshee Water Pump Impeller

Dmcbanshee

I haven't run any tests with actual numbers, but I can tell you that from a theory standpoint yes it should help with cooling. The main reason for upgrading however, is because the stock impellers are prone to failing. Mine, never failed me, but it was more of an insurance for me. Now, about cooling. As I said, in theory they will provide better cooling. The stock impeller is what I would call an open vein design. Near the center of the impeller the veins aren't present so there is a void. Sorry kind of hard for me to explain for some reason. Whereas, the billet impellers are closed all the way to the center. In my opinion, the open vein should allow for some cavitation or inefficiency in the stock impeller, but the billet would essentially be forced to pump all the coolant with every rotation. Thus, the reason why I would conclude that it is better at cooling.

in all accuality a low flow billet impellar is much better than a high flow. with a low flow the coolant spends more time in the radiator being cooled making your bike run cooler by more efficently transfering more heat. they are kinda hard to find but they are out there. my bike over heated a couple of times when i had the stock impellar in, and it melted all the blades off of it. replace it with billet just for a little insurance. 60 bucks now beats 600 or more later.

Hey

Also bought a vitos impeller and wanted to put it in today.

But the screws of the cover are so tight and didn't get them lose.

I stripped a couple of them.

How can I get them lose?

Wfg

Fred

go to sears and get one of these....

MUST HAVE !!!!

they work great for removing locked screws...

Word!!!!!!!!!! i have that exact one. It works great.

I srtipped one of the hex bolts that hold the rear brake rotor on. Used the impact driver, sucker popped right off. money well spent.

P.S. I have a pro design billet impeller on my shee. I never had a cooling problem before i had it, but for only 60 bucks or so, its cheap insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

The aluminum impellers are better because, the plastic impeller with fail you in the future.

The plastic will melt or break before the alum. one will.

Mark my words

Id have to agree. When I first took mine out it looked fine, and I thought maybe the failures Id heard about were just a bunch of people that didn't know what they were doing. Then my dad came by, picked it up and looked at it close, and the damn thing had cracked nearly in half already.

in all accuality a low flow billet impellar is much better than a high flow. with a low flow the coolant spends more time in the radiator being cooled making your bike run cooler by more efficently transfering more heat. they are kinda hard to find but they are out there. my bike over heated a couple of times when i had the stock impellar in, and it melted all the blades off of it. replace it with billet just for a little insurance. 60 bucks now beats 600 or more later.

I don't really agree with this, Low flow or high flow there should always be coolant in the radiator and it will always be getting cooled down as long as the bike is moving.

Sure in low flow the coolant leaving the radiator might be slightly cooler, but that would also mean the water around thy cylinders and entering the radiator would be slightly hotter if they are not getting high flow. A radiator is only going to cool so much, and the only way to increase it's efficiency is to get a larger radiator now slow down the flow of coolant.

If you have enough flow the coolant throughout the loop will be closer to the same temperature. If the loop is lower flow you will have more spots where the temperatures will vary.

You need a decent amount of flow to carry the heat away from the cylinders faster. Without good flow the heat will build up more in the hotter areas and areas in the head with less flow. It dosent matter if the water leaving the radiator is slightly cooler with a low flow setup, especialy if it isn't flowing through the loop fast enough to efficiently pull the heat away from the cylinders.

Edited by Justintoxicated
  • Like 1