Dirt in my intake! Dirt in my carbs!

I fkd up. I went riding with a K&N filter and no sock! Anyway, where I went riding it was a dust bowl. Heck....a powder bowl. Anyway, forgot to put the sock on and when I got there I said Fuk it. well ... I shouldnt have.

yesterday I pulled off the K&N hoping to not find anything in my intake. But to the contrary. Its freakin full of dirt. Real fine powdery dirt. wipe it with a towel and it looks like mud on the towel. Pulled off the intake and yup....got dirt in my carbs too. Took everything off. cant tell if there is any in the reeds. looked in there with a flashlight and they look real clean.

there was hella dirt in the carb caps. cleaned it out mostly with starter fluid and compressed air. i used the started fluid cuz it really does a good job blowing and cleaning at the same time.

what do you guys use to clean out carbs with? and do you think I need to go further into the engine? should I take off the reeds to get a better look in there?

LMAO...I have a desert race this weekend and Im leaving tomorrow night. Nothing like some last minute work to make things interesting. I was going to leave it alone....not wanting too look inside afraid of what I may find. And bam. So intead of getting some rest and preparing for this weekend....I am workin on the shee. Gotta Love these bad boys!

I will be pre-runing 60 miles. then racing for 120 miles. didnt thing I should leave the mud in there and let her clean herself out.

wouldnt that be cool if there was an automatic cleaning button.

like our dishwashers and ovens have. lol

this isnt always true but most of the time if its that really really fine almost powder crap small amounts of it wont hurt your motor most of it will pass right thorw the motor with the exhaust its the big heavy peices that f your motor up. it all depends on how much you sucked in.

Im thinking the same thing. its really powdery fine dust. but when I swiped my finger inside my intakes....it was all gritty in the there. then when I took it off .... you could see dust all over the carbs. but fine dust...as I mentioned.

I wanted some feedback to confirm...so thanks man.

And now you know why I'll never run a K&N on anything that goes off road. It lets shit through. Foam doesn't. I've cleaned my foam filter before and got nearly a full cup of sand out of it, and not one bit of dust made it through. I've helped other people clean their K&Ns, and even after a single days ride, theres a layer of dust inside the carbs. As far as airflow, it might flow a little more, but its not that drastic of a difference (not as much as K&N wants you to believe).

That layer of dust like they said will usually go through without causing any big problems. But keep doing it day after day for a long time, and i'll bet money it would shorten your engines lifespan.

Edited by dawarriorman

i also dont like k&n for general use. if you are racing and need every last fluid ounce of air maybe a k&n will work good enough, but it does let dirt through. ive seen it on quads, dirtbikes, hell my dads dodge ram diesel with banks turbo kit has a k&n and his intake between the filter and the turbo is also coated in dust on the inside.

most people dont race their quads in compatition, they are just casual riders. for most of us a foam filter provides better filtration and probably 90% of the airflow of a k&n.

uni makes universal pods that you can fit right onto the carbs(just like k&n pods) , or you can build youreself an intake runner similar to this one. http://www.fiber-lite.com/ATV_main.htm

for about $45 shipping included in cost and half hours worth of time. i made that exact fibre lite manifold setup with the sole difference in that i used thin wall aluminum intercooling tubing instead of carbon fibre. like i said $45 and 30 minutes. i got the tubing and filters off ebay.

for a coolant bracket, you use use a hand saw and cut the back off the stock airbox. sence the stock airbox has a coolant bracket, all you need to do is cut the back end off and bolt the rear section back up to the frame and it holds the coolant tank in the stock place.

with foam uni's, my intake remains spoitless, i run a white rag down the carbs and it comes back perfectly clean.

The K&N's are a good filter if you use them in conjunction with an outerwear. I melted my outerwears last time I was out and about so what I'm doing until I get some new ones ordered is taking a pair of woments panty-hose and putting them over the filters. I only ride in sand so it works pretty good.

uni makes universal pods that you can fit right onto the carbs(just like k&n pods) , or you can build youreself an intake runner similar to this one. http://www.fiber-lite.com/ATV_main.htm

for about $45 shipping included in cost and half hours worth of time. i made that exact fibre lite manifold setup with the sole difference in that i used thin wall aluminum intercooling tubing instead of carbon fibre. like i said $45 and 30 minutes. i got the tubing and filters off ebay.

for a coolant bracket, you use use a hand saw and cut the back off the stock airbox. sence the stock airbox has a coolant bracket, all you need to do is cut the back end off and bolt the rear section back up to the frame and it holds the coolant tank in the stock place.

with foam uni's, my intake remains spoitless, i run a white rag down the carbs and it comes back perfectly clean.

thats all fine and dandy but do you really need carbon fiber intake sleeves? you can get colored PVC pipe that is the same size and match it with your bike color scheme and not spend some 45 bucks.

The K&N's are a good filter if you use them in conjunction with an outerwear. I melted my outerwears last time I was out and about so what I'm doing until I get some new ones ordered is taking a pair of woments panty-hose and putting them over the filters. I only ride in sand so it works pretty good.

Yeah, but your sand is alot coarser than here. I know what your thinking, that you're stuff is powder. But trust me, dry clay will have finer particles than any sand. And even with outerwears, it goes right through. For the sand dunes I might run one, but probably not.

Yeah, but your sand is alot coarser than here. I know what your thinking, that you're stuff is powder. But trust me, dry clay will have finer particles than any sand. And even with outerwears, it goes right through. For the sand dunes I might run one, but probably not.

I wasn't trying to say that our sand was finer than your silt. I don't know how the hell you read that from my thread. I've been around both and sand is way more coarse than silt. That's why I get away with running a K&N. Duh. :banghead:

i trust foam its your choice. my shee i just use one and keep a spare clean, swap and clean. dont know if you can get them to fit pod filters but for my dirtbike PC racing makes skins which stretch over the airfilter work nice. oil them up ride a day take it off ride 1more.

i clean with aerosol non-clorinated brake cleaner, evaporates fast as hell. carefull it disolves most plastic and rubber. always remove carbs and clean away from the intake.

I wasn't trying to say that our sand was finer than your silt. I don't know how the hell you read that from my thread. I've been around both and sand is way more coarse than silt. That's why I get away with running a K&N. Duh. :banghead:

:banghead:

All I was trying to say is that an outerware won't solve all the problems. I just tend to post like that cuz of the idiots on forums. No offense meant.

:banghead:

All I was trying to say is that an outerware won't solve all the problems. I just tend to post like that cuz of the idiots on forums. No offense meant.

No problem, no offense on my part either. LOL Damn internet.

For conditions without fine particles or silt a K&N and outerwear is good, if you ride in anything that has really fine particles or silt, foam is better. Whichever way you go, keep it clean! hehe