look at this freaking turbo

i have a 15 liter cummins motor siting outside my house and the turbo isnt that big. but i guess.

those imports are making shit loads of power. but i think they have tranny problems. hard to make a tranny handle 1200 hp my guess.

would love to see it down the strip.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Rippen, i have a turbo charged "pull through" set up on my small block chevy in my rock crawler/Dune buggy contraption that works flawlesly. The power is there on top when ever ya need it at the dunes, and is a regular 8-1 compression pump gas running motor when i am out farting around. Perfect combination in my opinion. I love turbo's! i have less than 2500 bucks in my whole engine and turbo set up and all of the hp i could ever want :beer:

You obviously have no idea what kind of potential a turboed car has or how the power comes on...

RIPPEN

Why would you say that? Because I said that's the most pointless setup ever? Well, IT IS! I never said turbo's are the most pointless power adder, but that setup specifically is. I am actually a huge fan of all nicely done turbo cars, and plan on owning one within the next few years.

would love to see it down the strip.

Wouldn't be too impressive I bet. Supra's are dyno queen's for the most part, their horsepower to e.t. number's are WAY off. Those guys only like to race on the highway. :banghead:

Ya I would imagine the lag would be somewhat present on that big ass turbo. I have Twin Turbos on my Dodge cummins diesel so I can get the best of both worlds off the line with the little one and then the big bitch off a buddies freightshaker for top end. I would put money on it, that guy runs a shot of nitrous off the line to get in the powerband of that turb.

Also there is a big difference between 900 and 1200 hp, I think its cool. I am not one to slam a car that can probably dust everything in yours and my garages. :beer:

Most pointless setup ever. It only makes power for a split second, where's the fun in that? As said before I'll stick to my V8's that make torque and hp starting at 2000rpm's up to 6500rpm's, hell, my STOCK LT1 Trans Am makes 300+ ft/lb's of torque at 1700rpm's, and I have the dyno graph to prove it. :baseball_w00t:

Makes power for a split second...pretty sure it isn't making power for just a split second. You maybe be making torque from 2000-6500 but are you making hp? You can have loads of torque but it won't do you no good. Torque only takes you so far. Torque gets you off the line but hp it's the factor of fastness. I agree that turbo is a bit overkill. Most people like that think they can build a 1200 hp motor and it should be faster than anything around but what they don't think about is the suspension. What good is 1200 hp when you hit the green light and just spin cause you can't hook up cause you are running stock suspension with street tires. They are many other factors than just numbers and engine size.

Makes power for a split second...pretty sure it isn't making power for just a split second. You maybe be making torque from 2000-6500 but are you making hp? You can have loads of torque but it won't do you no good. Torque only takes you so far. Torque gets you off the line but hp it's the factor of fastness. I agree that turbo is a bit overkill. Most people like that think they can build a 1200 hp motor and it should be faster than anything around but what they don't think about is the suspension. What good is 1200 hp when you hit the green light and just spin cause you can't hook up cause you are running stock suspension with street tires. They are many other factors than just numbers and engine size.

I realize it's making power throughout the entire RPM range, but it's PEAK power is so spikey it's pointless. The turbo is simply TOO big for the motor. And yes, my car makes horsepower too, but not as much (281hp/315 tq). Hasn't anybody ever heard the saying "Horsepower sell's cars, torque win's races."

11221284352.gif

wow, this thread is pretty funny. I've read through and heard a couple people say, wow, i wonder how crappy the driveability of that car is or how bad does it lag, and i got to thinking i'm pretty sure most of you all do own and drive a banshee so you could test this yourself. go outside and rich'en up your main jet a couple sizes to big and that is what the lag would feel like. And as for dragging...well have you ever drag raced your shee on gravel :shoothead: ??? well there you go. Oh and for the spikey power comment, this site was founded on the principle of spikey power. :yelrotflmao: Anyways i love it, it's the anticipation....just waiting for power to come on and rip your arms off. just my asshole.

wow, this thread is pretty funny. I've read through and heard a couple people say, wow, i wonder how crappy the driveability of that car is or how bad does it lag, and i got to thinking i'm pretty sure most of you all do own and drive a banshee so you could test this yourself. go outside and rich'en up your main jet a couple sizes to big and that is what the lag would feel like. And as for dragging...well have you ever drag raced your shee on gravel :shoothead: ??? well there you go. Oh and for the spikey power comment, this site was founded on the principle of spikey power. :yelrotflmao: Anyways i love it, it's the anticipation....just waiting for power to come on and rip your arms off. just my asshole.

Ironic? Yeah. :jesterlaugh: I guess I just enjoy different types of power on the street.

DSC_1391.jpg

^^My car. :baseball_w00t:

I realize it's making power throughout the entire RPM range, but it's PEAK power is so spikey it's pointless. The turbo is simply TOO big for the motor. And yes, my car makes horsepower too, but not as much (281hp/315 tq). Hasn't anybody ever heard the saying "Horsepower sell's cars, torque win's races."

11221284352.gif

But torque isn't what wins races. Hell, I can gear a brigs and stratton engine to put down 200 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels, but it will only being turning at 100 rpm. Torque is a measure of force only, horsepower is a measure of work. Work is what gets something from point a to point b.

Say theres 2 cars, a big block with 500 lb of torque at 5k rpm, and a turbo car with only 350 lbs of torque at 10k. Of course you'd think the big block would take it, but when the turbo car is making that 350 lb ft of torque, its spinning twice as fast as the big block. Gear it down to 5k rpm the same as the big block, and suddenly its making 700 lb ft of torque. The big block has 476 hp with the turbo car makes 666 hp.

Get it? Torque is only useful if you can rev too. Having huge torque down low simply makes it easier to take off fast, you don't have to work the clutch to keep it in the power, you simply dump it and even though the engine revs down, it still has plenty of torque. Get someone that can launch the turbo car right, riding it near the torque peak and it will launch every bit as fast as long as the tranny is geared right.

Edited by dawarriorman

Why would you say that? Because I said that's the most pointless setup ever? Well, IT IS! I never said turbo's are the most pointless power adder, but that setup specifically is. I am actually a huge fan of all nicely done turbo cars, and plan on owning one within the next few years.

Wouldn't be too impressive I bet. Supra's are dyno queen's for the most part, their horsepower to e.t. number's are WAY off. Those guys only like to race on the highway. :banghead:

It just sounds as though you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to knowing turbos. Have you ever owned or REALLY been around anything with a turbo??? I have been lucky enough to be around ALLOT of turboed cars/trucks/jeeps ect as well as had turboed cars of my own..

Even a VERY large turbo like the one in the vid can be made to performe well. I agree that, that particular turbo maybe a bit overkill but its not going to have the "lag" that you may think. I have seen several supras(in person) that have very large mono turbos vs twin turbos(like stock). What people don't realize is with a turbo you can be at full boost long before a supercharger comes to full boost. Lag on a turbo can be helped by GOOD driving or a properly setup car. If you have a automatic/decent setup, you can come off the line with full boost rippin more ass you would ever care to admit... Iam probably just rambling but bottom line.. IMO a turbo if setup correctly is the BEST power adder you could ever hope for. Oh and for the dyno queen comment... Next time you see a supra run him with your 300hp LS1... I just hope your prepared to have your doors blown... :flamewar:

Me too!! :beer: I love american muscle cars but a RWD tubocharged import is MUCH more fun to drive IMO. But that's just me :shrug:

Thats why you put the two together.... I have a Chrysler 383 that Iam going to build for my Dart and will eventually bless it with twin turbos :headbang:

RIPPEN