Running like crap, one pipe hotter than other.

Got: 01 shee DMC 916's, stock carbs, ported airbox, +4 timing, running stock pilots, 3rd clip from blunt and 340 mains, air screws 2.5 out, 900 feet asl.

One pipe gets ALOT hotter than the other, and that sides exhaust opening in the muffler doesnt blow smoke like the other side. The other side seems to be running fine.

Stumbles all the way through the throttle pull, kind of cleans out at full throttle & high RPM's and

I checked the choke tube, its in place, but its the carb that has the choke handle thats giving me the problem, and im thinking hot temps on the pipes point to a lean condition? Not enough fuel to keep her cool?

What possible other causes should i be looking for? Possible air leak? Dirty carbs? Help, before i convert to a EFI 4 stroke.... :shoothead: ...lol.

Got: 01 shee DMC 916's, stock carbs, ported airbox, +4 timing, running stock pilots, 3rd clip from blunt and 340 mains, air screws 2.5 out, 900 feet asl.

One pipe gets ALOT hotter than the other, and that sides exhaust opening in the muffler doesnt blow smoke like the other side. The other side seems to be running fine.

Stumbles all the way through the throttle pull, kind of cleans out at full throttle & high RPM's and

I checked the choke tube, its in place, but its the carb that has the choke handle thats giving me the problem, and im thinking hot temps on the pipes point to a lean condition? Not enough fuel to keep her cool?

What possible other causes should i be looking for? Possible air leak? Dirty carbs? Help, before i convert to a EFI 4 stroke.... :shoothead: ...lol.

So both sides are blowing out exhaust, but one is hot and not smoking? I'd check too see if the carbs are in sync and check the compression in both cylinders.

i synced the carbs, by eye, they are good. I will check compression.

I had the same problem when i put my new carbs on and they were just a little out of sync.Does one just heat up faster than the other or the cool one just never gets hot?

I had the same problem when i put my new carbs on and they were just a little out of sync.Does one just heat up faster than the other or the cool one just never gets hot?

The pipe on the left (with the carb in question) gets really, really hot, while the pipe on the right gets, what i would call, "normally" hot, and i figure that side (right) is firing like nomral. The left pipe gets so hot, the palm of my gloves almost stick to it when i pat on it.

This happened once to the right side, when the choke tube fell off. When i replaced the choke tube, the temps were even across both pipes. If the choke tube falls off, does that create an air leak? Wouldnt too much air leaking through the carbs cause a lean condition and ultimately increase exhaust temperatues?

As for compression testing, and all that, i dont see how change in compression will change exhaust temps. If a lower compression cylinder isnt creating power, then technically how can it create so much heat? BTW, i didnt notice a temp difference b/t the 2 jugs, but im not stupid enough to run long enough to notice if its having a problem. And my carb boots seem to be in good shape, no cracks, gouges, holes, etc, as well as the reed cage and spacer gaskets.

Thats new suzuki 450r is starting to look real good....

What if your rings are siezed in the grooves and you have piston to wall, not ring to wall. This will create more heat. I have had this happen, and the side that has lost compression will start to fire and run at the top. Basically was hard to start, and wouldn't idle right, but would seem to "clean out" and run up top. I am not saying this is definately your problem, but have seen it happen.

What about the float hight not being high enough, and the jet not pulling enough fuel?

What if your rings are siezed in the grooves and you have piston to wall, not ring to wall. This will create more heat. I have had this happen, and the side that has lost compression will start to fire and run at the top. Basically was hard to start, and wouldn't idle right, but would seem to "clean out" and run up top. I am not saying this is definately your problem, but have seen it happen.

Plausible, i will check that out next time i am up at the house. You nailed a couple other symptoms there, hard to start, wont idle, clean out and run on top. Sounds like my shee!

Did it run fine before? or has it always done this since you modded it.

The crank seals could be bad and it is pulling air in from the left side crank seal. If the right side goes out usually the RH exhaust will smoke more since it is burning trans fluid.

You might also check carb boots for cracks.

Did it run fine before? or has it always done this since you modded it.

The crank seals could be bad and it is pulling air in from the left side crank seal. If the right side goes out usually the RH exhaust will smoke more since it is burning trans fluid.

You might also check carb boots for cracks.

No it ran fine that morning, but not perfect, so i re-jetted it. After i re-jetted, i started having this problem. I went from a 360 main to a 320 main, thought it was running shitty because it was lean, then went to a 340, with some improvement.

No it ran fine that morning, but not perfect, so i re-jetted it. After i re-jetted, i started having this problem. I went from a 360 main to a 320 main, thought it was running shitty because it was lean, then went to a 340, with some improvement.

Have you checked for air leaks on that side? The problem started after you rejetted, so the rejetting had to cause the problem. Now, why is one side different than the other. 360 is a pretty big main and if the left side ran good there but the right side ran bad, and now the right side ran good and the left side seems hot/lean, then it would appear that the left side is getting more air/needing more fuel than the right side.

Check for air leaks or maybe some blowby on the left side. Another thing you don't want to hear is that sometimes when the crank seal on the left side, the one that seals it off from the flywheel, goes bad or out, it can suck air in there and cause some leanness issues on the left side. So, while your checking for air leaks, maybe pull the left cover and inspect behind the flywheel.

My buddy and I were rebuilding his banshee and we put the new 34 pwk kehlin carbs and the same thing happened one pipe was getting hotter than the other, we noticed that the fuel/air screws weren't turned out the same amount of turns. I don't know if you tried that or not, hopefully this helps you some!

My buddy and I were rebuilding his banshee and we put the new 34 pwk kehlin carbs and the same thing happened one pipe was getting hotter than the other, we noticed that the fuel/air screws weren't turned out the same amount of turns. I don't know if you tried that or not, hopefully this helps you some!

Yeah, that was one of the first things i checked, but i am starting to think that its rebuild time. Its been over a year, and i ride the wheels off of it, so its probably tired. Thanks for the input though!