banshee compression

Make sure you use the right fitting for your compression tester.

If the fitting is shorter then you spark plug the volume in you cilinder will be bigger. thus your compression will turn out lower then it actually is.

also. when testing the engine should be heated up

and full trothle must be applied.

Leave the ignition off :)

i say compresion should be 125 psi.

Make sure you use the right fitting for your compression tester.

If the fitting is shorter then you spark plug the volume in you cilinder will be bigger. thus your compression will turn out lower then it actually is.

also. when testing the engine should be heated up

and full trothle must be applied.

Leave the ignition off :)

i say compresion should be 125 psi.

517958[/snapback]

r u sure you want it heated first? i thought do it cold so your rings havent expanded yet

correct me if im wrong-if i am ill retest my comp.

well doing it hot wont do me any good right now cause the right side isnt firing haha. but I guess I can warm up the left sylinder haha. so you say throttle open even when its off? like when you are kicking it over with the ignition off?

518285[/snapback]

Well if you are doing a comp test because of a dead hole, don't bother warming the bike up- if you don't get at least 100 psi, the cyl won't even fire. Anything less than 110 is on the train to wornoutsville. Warm cylinders typically read 5-10 psi more, and are more accurate- hot is the natural state of the engine and you want to measure the engine as it is when being run. By the same token, You want the throttles open to get max air into the cylinders. A proceedure is only good if it follows certain rules, and throttle open is a given on any comp test- otherwise you are testing compression relative to your idle stop settings, which are gonna be different on any bike.

• 1 month later...

i checked mine today. cold, throttle closed. only 90psi, but both cylinders were the same so i guess that's good. it runs just fine, but i'll be doing a top end this coming winter.

once i get the quad back together i'll test it again hot with the throttle open and see what it says.

my compression tester fitting is only about 1/3 the length of the spark plug, so that'll lower the psi a bit too, usure how much though....not like i'm racing or anything though, it runs well and that's what i want.

--matt