New top end or not

akita8

I have a 94 shee and the compression is 110 in both cylinders. It has stock head and I'm at 1800 feet. Is it time for a rebuild? The quad still runs strong but I would like to increase the compression. If the head is shaved .030 how much will this increase my compression.

Yes you should go ahead with a Top End Build. My 98 was at 110psi on all stock parts at sea level. I am currently doing the build and it was in MUCH need of freshening. You run a risk of more damage if the piston to cylinder clearance gets too large and you catch the piston skirt on the port.....blah blah blah. So yes, 130ish is stock PSI, build you a new one.

:cheers:

Stock compression should be around 120psi for your elevation. 130psi is the stock compression at sea level. So you're not that bad. Did you do the test warm and with the throttle wide open? Also not all compression testers read the same. That's why its best to do a compression check when the top end is new and then use the same tester during the life of the pistons. I wouldn't sweat it too bad at this point, but plan on a new top end after this season.