Wont Kick Start !

87sheerips

Well, i was riding out on the ice last weekend, and had a hell of a time starting her up. I had to pull start it every time, it fired right up and ran awesome. I could not get it to kick over though. Im sure plugs are in order but i figured if they were fouled, pull starting it would clear em up. Im pretty curious about this, any ideas??

He said he wasa able to pull start it fine, So I think that orders Low compression out of the way...BTW I never knew they ,made  pull starters for the Banhsee!

476362[/snapback]

It does not dismiss the posibility of low compression, as a matter of fact it is a good indicator that your compression is low. It is also possible if you have cleaned your carbs lately or rejetted that you put the float bowls on the wrong carbs and that would make the choke not operate properly, meaning in cold weather especially, you would have to kick it 100 times to generate any heat to get any compression. I would check those couple things first.

well, first off i was getting towed with a strap, and forcing a start that way. I checked compression a couple weeks ago, it was 160 in the left, 170 in right. It was about 10 degrees and im jetted for about 30. Im running 160 mains in keihins. It runs great when it starts, check out the vido section under ice drags to hear it run. I think im guna look into rings anyway... thanks for the ideas, jeep em comin!! :cheers:

well, first off i was getting towed with a strap, and forcing a start that way.  I checked compression a couple weeks ago, it was 160 in the left, 170 in right.  It was about 10 degrees and im jetted for about 30.  Im running 160 mains in keihins.  It runs great when it starts, check out the vido section under ice drags to hear it run.  I think im guna look into rings anyway...  thanks for the ideas, jeep em comin!! :cheers:

476705[/snapback]

your compression is a problem being 10 psi different. but I don't think that is your starting problem. I think your pilot my be to small, and your air screw may need adjusting.

:bolt:

I thought you somehow had a pullstarter on it, not needed 1 !My bad!

476733[/snapback]

how the fuck would u put a pullstarter on a banshee!?!?!!?! :blink: anyway, my buddy's 88 is doing the same thing, so now ive got a few idea on where to start looking. its doing the same thing, cant kick it over unless its warmed up in shop(about 10x) but itll fire up and run like a stripped ass ape once pull started (by another quad) :bolt:

well i know that I have a hard time starting my shee (2001 stock internals) and I checked my compress and it was just over 90 which isnt good. It runs beautifully though once shes going as well. I havent looked into it yet though... Im going to order noss heads then check the pistons and cylinders. A rering might do the job but if not a simple topend rebuild will be in place :) Wiseco pistons and rings yadda yadda. Then get the cylinders honed back to perfection to match the cylinders. Also gotta check the fuel (pilot/jet)

Edited by Thoughtshewas18