Splitting the Cases

BigRed350x

this is great, i think the info you gave on here helped a bunch, thanks for taking the time to post pics on each step like you did.  for a motor rookie like myself, this makes it seem a bit less complicated.  i cant wait to see the rebuild picks.  I would love to see any how to do stuff you can post.  i have the clymer manual, but seeing it twice and in color is great.  if you ever come to richmond i owe you a few beers :cheers:  :notworthy:

478251[/snapback]

Thanks for all the awesome comments guys! I will keep everyone updated with pictures as I go. Right now I'm sitting in the water waiting to order a piston kit and a clutch. I have a swinger lined up and need a carrier for that too.

I have some stock parts in really good shape for sale in the for sale section, go check them out. If you think I'm asking too much, shoot me some offers. I just want them out of the way, so I won't turn down any reasonable offers. :clap:

- Jared

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep...once I build a similar motor, I'm goign to have VIRGIN cylinders from a 96 (no port, never bored, bike still has 115PSI and runs very good) for sale, along with the stock head and stock crank....along with my stock swingarm.

I don't want to post it for sale yet...because it'll probably be the middle of march before I get to the teardown!

I just hope I don't dive into this project and decide to replace this...than that...and before you know it I'm way over budget and out of loot!!

Thanks again, Big Red!!!

how bout one on a step by step of changing out a spark plug too , dont ru n a spacer plate o n that cub setup drop the ports and cut the domes ,you dont want to raise your port timing that high . doesnt make much sense to me  :blink:

477388[/snapback]

I will have to get one for changing a spark plug. I will take the old ones out with the torch and install the new ones with my air impact gun. :clap:

I'm leaning more and more towards the cut domes. Been talking to dlnoss about getting a set, but I need to get the pistons and everything put on first so I can measure the deck height for him.

Yep...once  I build a similar motor, I'm goign to have VIRGIN cylinders from a 96 (no port, never bored, bike still has 115PSI and runs very good) for sale, along with the stock head and stock crank....along with my stock swingarm.

I don't want to post it for sale yet...because it'll probably be the middle of march before I get to the teardown!

I just hope I don't dive into this project and decide to replace this...than that...and before you know it I'm way over budget and out of loot!!

Thanks again, Big Red!!!

478331[/snapback]

That's what happened to me right now. I have it tore down to the frame and decided I would get it PC'd while I had it down this far. So it might be a little longer before I'm out there on it. I just figure that since I have it down this far, I might as well just do it right. I'm going to go with a candy blue PC or a candy green PC. Right now all thats on the frame is the steering stem and radiator. After I get those off I'm going to town with the sand blaster and going to weld in some gussets sicne I can't find a kit anywhere. Then I'm going to send it off to Ogden, UT for PC. Going to get a lot of stuff chromed too while I'm at it. I will def. have it running again by memorial day, but not sure about easter right now. That might be pushing it. :unsure:

It's going to look nice though. Probably have to wait on fullbores till this summer, so I will have the nice PC frame, but shitty plastics till summer time. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
lets see the rest, did you get it pc,

482204[/snapback]

There are other pics out there, do a search for my name and you will find them. Waiting on my billet impeller to get here, then I can install my clutch & sidecase. Only two things left I need are a roundhouse carrier and cut domes from dlnoss. after I get those two things I will have it in the frame and doing breakin on the top end. After that I'm heading out to killpecker for jetting. It will be running by the end of this month.

• 5 months later...

Have you gotten any further with your step-by-step rebuild? I would like to have it to help me when I get the cases split on my '87.

Its been done and gone for almost a year now. Sorry. Never took any pictures of the re-assembly, it was taking too damn long.

Next time I split my cases I will finish everything up. Should be a cleaner teardown next time as well. I've been keeping everything a lot cleaner. LOL

Sorry. Its pretty simple stuff, just reverse what did to put it together. Get a clymer manual for the torque specs and just follow the pics in reverse. The banshee engine is really really simple design.

• 1 month later...

WOW i need to learn but thats way deep for a first timer

awesome pics and disciption though you rock

Search around a bit, there are lots of pictures and stories and other help-me threads out there that will get you started. This thread was more for people who had been around the banshee for a while but were spooked by splitting the cases. More just to give you an idea of whats involved.

Any time I join a new board I usually go back a couple months and go through and read previous posts. Lots of times any questions you might have, have already been answered.

- Jared

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...