MX should be more low end? What do I need?

01bansheefox

For a MX banshee you want more LOW end on the motor correct than top end?

So far my engine is ported/polish, milled head adv +5, vefroce 3 and I have two 34mm carbs, If I get a 2 into 1 intake system and like 1 35mm carb that will be better correct? and I also run Power Pro pipes which are a top end pipes I should get a MotoFast 2 into 1?

Im pretty much asking what componets do I need to get my bike to be more of a low end rather than top end. And yes the front sprocket will help alot im gonna try a 14 or 15.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, low and mid is usually desired in MX. The biggest problem is making smooth power, so it's all controllable and you don't have problems with traction. You might be better off with the dual 34mm's. They'll definately flow A LOT more than a single 35. You'd probably lose some HP but might make it a little smoother w/the single 35. What kind of port do you have? If you're really using those dual 34's to their potential and you want a 2 into 1, then you could look into getting a 2 into 1 w/a 40 mm Lectron carb. But you don't ever need a 2 into 1 intake for MX.

I'm not too familiar w/ Power pro pipes or 2 into 1's. But I've heard quite a few people say 2 into 1's have a lot of bottom end. To keep some top end, another option would be PTR mids or possibly FMF fattys if you're on a tight budget.

BTW, don't change your sprocket set up if you like how it feels. Going with a lower front sprocket will just get you shifting more. I would run as tall of a gear your motor can easily pull.

i think 17 is right on the money, tall gearing is key in mx or short track racing,and id stick with the dual 34's too, the single carb has a violent bottom but then signs off early, if your going to race neck and neck with other quads your going to want to hook up and accerate, long gears will pull hard, the 34's will deliver a smoother power band through the high rpm's, breaking loose from just pinning it and shifting could cost you time in a moto, id skip the pipe also the more fuel and air that passes through your bike the longer and harder it will pull, i tried all the 2-1 shit years ago, and the fastest banshee ive ever riddin, had two pipes and two carbs......... :cheers:

Well my bike gets up and goes no questions about that it does about 92-95mph, the port work I am not sure what kind it is.... I guess a mild port? all around job? Its just ported and polished I was told its not used for drag or mx just an all around port job, i guess they call it a clean up port & polish?

So i should keep my engine how it is? It just seems my motor is more focused on top end speed the aceleration isnt really there it goes right into the power band and pulls the front wheels off the ground until about 3rd gear.

I'd stay away from the 2n1 pipe, it's good for trail and that it (kills top end a lot). The FMF Gnarley's and the pt mids are way better.

As far as gearing like above, stay higher- I liked 15 - 41 my self.

I would suggest the 2n1 carb though. It will kill some top but none you'll miss on a mx track. But will gain low. If you were going sand top end then stay away from them IMO

Other then that get good suspension and a steering stabilizer. That will get your lap times up better then more engine mods. You'll be able to fly faster through the bumpy stuff.

I thought a clean and polish just took off casting and didn't open up ports?? Could be wrong though :confused: If that is the case then a Gorr low-mid port or another mx type from your builder of choice would be a good thing too.

:cheers:

with the pt and the gnarly you are going to be doing a lot of shifting but with a 2 in to 1 you can put it in 2nd or 3rd and come out of turns with no prob.a lot of people have never rode with a motofast so they dont understand what type of low to mid they have.you are not gonna use 5th or 6th gear on most mx tracks so imo go with a 2 in to 1 pipe you will like it

Other then that get good suspension and a steering stabilizer. That will get your lap times up better then more engine mods. You'll be able to fly faster through the bumpy stuff.

:cheers:

464335[/snapback]

Amen to that, a bone stock banshee with a dialed in chassis and suspension would whoop up on a 100 hp banshee motor sitting in a stock chassis with stock suspension, on any MX track :cheers:

Edited by Blue Duece

For a MX banshee you want more LOW end on the motor correct than top end?

So far my engine is ported/polish, milled head adv +5, vefroce 3 and I have two 34mm carbs, If I get a 2 into 1 intake system and like 1 35mm carb that will be better correct? and I also run Power Pro pipes which are a top end pipes I should get a MotoFast 2 into 1?

Im pretty much asking what componets do I need to get my bike to be more of a low end rather than top end. And yes the front sprocket will help alot im gonna try a 14 or 15.

464241[/snapback]

u want to trade even pipes carbs boots throttle cable for my two into 1 35mm trintiy kit ?

u want to trade even pipes carbs boots throttle cable for  my two into 1 35mm trintiy kit ?

464714[/snapback]

Do i look fucken stupid? So you want my pipes= $600 my carbs $250, my intake? $80 and im guessing filters? $70?, cable $25

Thats an even $1,025 for 1 carb and intake?

I guess he didnt see I have 1100+ posts and pro.... i know some stuff about quads my pipes alone are worth more than a 2 into 1 system.

465085[/snapback]

1100 posts and pro doesnt mean shit. what pipes do u have that are worth 600 bucks used?? ive NEVER seen a set of pipes used for 600 bucks. the best drag pipes made are not even that much new...

oh yea, i wouldnt trade for the 2 into 1 either..hell my pipes alone are worth 1200 cuz they are one of a very few sets made.. :rotflmao:

1100 posts and pro doesnt mean shit. what pipes do u have that are worth 600 bucks used?? ive NEVER seen a set of pipes used for 600 bucks. the best drag pipes made are not even that much new...

oh yea, i wouldnt trade for the 2 into 1 either..hell my pipes alone are worth 1200 cuz they are one of a very few sets made.. :rotflmao:

465301[/snapback]

I never said it meant shit but obviously if I have been here and registered in 2003 i should have some knowledge of banshee's and there prices. And mine have been used 1 race thats not even 2-3 hours of riding time, I would still consider those new, my builder Nate McCoy said they are a top end pipe for drag racing and they are $600-$650 new. They are Power Pro's