Stripped output shaft

I let a friend help me out a bit and when he put the sprocket on and used the impact on it he had it crossthreaded.

Can i buy just that shaft or do i need to buy a whle new transmission.

Or can i just turn it down and thread it a smaller size and make a custom nut to hold the sprocket?

You could probably run a smaller sprocket. I don't know that I would RECOMMEND that, but you could do it. You can take out just that shaft. You can get a trans reasonably cheap off ebay. If you are going to go to the trouble of splitting the cases, might as well throw a 4mm crank in there too!

NO Not turn down the sprocket locator area just where the threads are. Make it just to the next regular thread size (fine threads SAE or Metric) and make a new nut the same outside diameter but the new inner diameter. Heat treat it (the nut) and call it good.

and yeah the 4mm idea has been on my mind a lot.

He is really good.. I don't understand what happened. When i was out to sea he redid my tope end so we could go to the desert as soon as I got back in.

The threads would be like hard nipples compared to the c cups they would normally be.

Edited by Toybreaker

replace it ,itll never hold up and youll never be able to trust it if it seems to .

next time only tighten up wit ha wrench and fold the metal flap washer over so it doesnt spin ,your buddy sounds kinda of a shitty mechanic to me ,thats a no brainer

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen this fixed with a small and simple tach weld ? It'll get you buy until you figure you need a new shaft.....

459272[/snapback]

OMG don't weld on that shit. Yeah it might hold, but what if it doesn't? Just fix it right and get a new output shaft. Don't micky-mouse something just to get it to work. Do it right.

I've seen this fixed with a small and simple tach weld ? It'll get you buy until you figure you need a new shaft.....

459272[/snapback]

If you have to ride right away and you can weld this will absolutly work but you have to get that shit straight. Seen it done a few x's with no problems. If you have the access and abilitly to do the machine work you mentiond I wouldn't be affraid of that at all, but that would be for someone with some time on there hands and wanted to say I can do that. Cause I think time and effort would outway the cost of a replacement since someone above said they would just give you one anyway, but I have been know to do stuff like that. Made an aluminum dipstick just like Cascade. Now my time and material I could probably say was worth well over a hundered and I could just buy one for $20 but I DID IT.

good luck