Desert racing

I agree, if you really want to play with the big boys, search up Dean Sundahl.  I may have that spelling wrong.  He builds a Banshee frame with something like 20" of suspension travel.  I will see if I can find any of his stuff for you to look at.

Sundahl picture

Frame at full droop

Just plain awesome

another

good comparison

444471[/snapback]

in that last photo "good comparison" is that a 250r geometry frame? that sundahl frame sits WAY up high

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's a completely custom frame that only he builds. If you look close you will see that the A-arms actually cross each other and attach to the other side of the frame. That is the grand Pooba of long travel. I don't think anyone else makes anything quite like it. From what I read the builder left the ATV world to become a capenter or something along those lines.

No, that's a completely custom frame that only he builds.  If you look close you will see that the A-arms actually cross each other and attach to the other side of the frame.  That is the grand Pooba of long travel.  I don't think anyone else makes anything quite like it.  From what I read the builder left the ATV world to become a capenter or something along those lines.

444535[/snapback]

yeah I know about the sundahl frame I was talking about the frame to the left of it..

I would not go shorter on the swingarm, the whoops will kill you. MX tracks dont got shit on open desert whoops, you need extra length on the swinger to help out. I never heard of loosing traction with a longer swingarm, guess thats why all the dragracers use them to help the tires slip and get less traction. :shootself:

but all in all, suspension is the name of the game in desert racing, the better you soak up the terrain the less tired you will get and the faster you can go. Ask BenBB he has been desert racing his banshee for a few years now, here is a link to his mods and the other bikes on the team

LINK

I would not go shorter on the swingarm, the whoops will kill you. MX tracks dont got shit on open desert whoops, you need extra length on the swinger to help out. I never heard of loosing traction with a longer swingarm, guess thats why all the dragracers use them to help the tires slip and get less traction. :shootself:

but all in all, suspension is the name of the game in desert racing, the better you soak up the terrain the less tired you will get and the faster you can go. Ask BenBB he has been desert racing his banshee for a few years now, here is a link to his mods and the other bikes on the team

LINK

445229[/snapback]

A longer swingarm will put more of the weight of the machine on the front tires. So yes, you will have less traction. Dragracing in the dunes with paddles, traction is a given. Same with drag racing on asphalt. They have so much power, they need a longer swingarm so they won't wheelie when they try and put the power to the ground.

And when you go for a longer swingarm, and push the weight balance forward, you screw up the handling of the quad. Its long been accepted that for MX racing you want a shorter swingarm (same with XC).

Edited by dawarriorman

mostly true, it does put the weight forward. But I'm only talking about a +2 at the most and that small amount of loss in traction is not really an issue in a 100 mile race. In MX you need a tight turning radius and a very nimble quad, so you go shorter to help with this, and I suppose the same could be said for GNCC style, but when you are in the desert a tight turning radius is rarely a concern. By extending the swingarm and increasing the wheelbase and changing the center of gravity more forward it will take the hard hit of lagre whoops and drops better, to enhance this you can put a log travel linkage on too and get a longer shock with larger rez to keep it cooler.

come ride 25 miles of big un evanly spaced whoops with a shortened swinger and you will learn first hand what I am saying is true. Just let me get my Janssen+1 1/2 on first. :headbang:

Edited by warwgn

Can't wait to get some desert riding done. I reckon that must be where the banshee is best. :evil: i envy you guys! :cry: Next year I might make it to the namib desert run. Anyone here ever come over, I see a few overseas sights advertizing the run? :)

Can't wait to get some desert riding done. I reckon that must be where the banshee is best. :evil:  i envy you guys!  :cry:  Next year I might make it to the namib desert run. Anyone here ever come over, I see a few overseas sights advertizing the run? :)

445613[/snapback]

Find me plane tickets in the 10 dollar range, and free shipping for my quad, and I'll be there. :cheers:

Edited by dawarriorman