Suspension Questions

#1banshee

Why do you say with the custom axis shocks if you have " time " are they a pain in the ass to set up or? Thank's for the inputs

443409[/snapback]

You'll need time because of how long it takes for the shocks to get out to you. I'm pretty sure the wait can be over a month long for Axis depending on the time of year (in season, out of season, etc.). I've heard people say PEP's taking over 3 months...because they're are only two guys building the shocks. They're are a lot of high quality shocks out there. It all depends on how much you wanna pay and how long you wanna wait.

If you just playride, get the Elka 'Dunes'. They are the low level Elkas that lack adjustability. I have ridden quite a few shees with aftermarket shocks, and I believe they are the most bang for the buck at like $450, totally better than even the upper level versions of the Works shocks. If a guy races motocross or TT on his quad, I can see the adjustabilty being an issue, but if you want shocks with top quality parts (all anodized billet) that ride great and wear for years, it's hard to beat Dunes for the money. For the guy who wants a good race shock, TCS and Custom Axis are the big names.

Laeger T-pin arms are better than Roll's or anything with balljoints. Altho they're expensive and they require you to use laegers steerin' stem, I feel they're the best money can buy. Shocks, either AXIS, Elka or PEP. Im partail to the Custom Axis shocks, but any brand out of those three are the shizznitt. :cheers:

The T-Pin design was used to correct a geometry flaw in the fourtrax design. Came from having the front framerails raked back too much for the balljoints in a longtravel application.

Since this is not part of the Banshee, it isn't necessary.

Just renders the Laeger T-Pin a very expensive waste. Plus the T-pin rebuild kits are much more expensive than it costs to rebuild the Roll Design Lobo kit.

I've also heard the fittment on the Outlaw chassis is horrible. I still want to ride it.

The ultimate would be the Laeger Banshee/250R chassis. But you better be lucky on Ebay to get all the pieces.

Our Ultra cross arms are Camber/caster adjustable, Heim jointed arms, accept we use

KEVLAR/TEFLON lined heims which will last a long time if you take care of them. Alot of guys are using the non teflon lined heims which tend to wear out faster.

arms carry a lifetime warranty against failures. If you break/bend one. we will repair/replace it free of charge for the life of the arms.

We sell them powdercoated, with urethane bushings, and chromoly tie rods.

also make a LT heim joint for the banshee. these use a 19" shock for an unbelievably smooth ride.

(if cost is an issue. we offer a recreation arm at 399.99. camber adjustable, ball joint arm. with urethane bushings tie rods, and powder. only a 5 year warranty on these arms.)

Elka makes good shocks, So does, TCS, AXIS, PEP, and FOX,

We like the elkas due to the great customer service. We get them in 4-8business days.

THey have basically 2 types of shocks. MX, and DUNE. the MX shocks

have whats called a self sagging device which basically lowers the ride height of the bike.

this is achieved with a softer top spring. as well as valving shim differences.

The dune series are valved slightly different and feature a different set of springs and are best suited for the dune chop, type of terrain you encounter in the sand.

Id say for a budget great ride any bodys plus two arms, and a rec shock from works, or elka, or FOX will suit you.

If you can afford it, the FOX EVOL, will be out in a few weeks and will be the best ride for your money bar none! Fully adjustable shocks that are the ultimate in plushness! just be prepaired to brake out your wallet!!!

Also don't mix up the Elka Dune Shocks and Dune Eddition Elites...

The Dune eddition elites have different valving for dealing with chop. Typicaly other manufactures use a self sagging spring or their High Speed Compression valving to take out the chop, but with the dune eddition you don't decrease your travel like with a self sagging spring, and the high speed compression will still absorb the chop well but will also take the hit from a big jump.

Course if you don't ride dunes then ignore this post.

Edited by Justintoxicated

As far as i have been breifed by the engineers at FOX, (they are about 45mins away from our shop)

They are not building an air shock in the rear. Mainly due to proximity of its location with proxiity to the motor and exhaust heat.

THeir new EVOLS are the best shock ive ever ridden. They are unlike no other. That is what i plan to run on my bikes from hear on out in the front.

Yep, I think you're right. I saw on another forum a guy that worked at fox was talking about them, and I thought he said they were coming soon. When I looked back, this is what he said

"Rear shox are more difficult because of the heat. As the shox get hotter the air presure increases. This would affect the sag, spring rate and how well the shox works. For now we have the Podium X which is a remote resi dual rate spring shock."

I guess I read it too fast, but it does seem like they aren't dismissing the idea of a rear air shock.