How do toomey T3's compare?

rlm2268

Hi, I'm looking at buying a banshee, it has a trued and welded crank, pro ported, coated pistons, cut head, ect. It has toomey T3 pipes. Is it worth the money to go to a newer designed set of pipes? How do the old T3's compare to some of the newer pipes? Quad will mostly be used just to rip around, drag race some buddy's and maybe some oval racing.

Thank's

T3's are pretty pipey, and they get really bad when you cut them, you end up with hardly any low end. Once you get into the power they're pretty good, they rev very high. I wouldn't waste your time on them, get some cpis or shearers, you will be much happier.

T3's don't fit perfectly on a-arm bikes, you have to put a small dent in the front of the pipe for the a-arm bolt.

I have T-3's on my 87. They are a top end pipe. They have a very hard hit, and no botton end. The T-5 and T-3 [and t-4 for that matter] have a similar top end rush, but the t-5's have better mid and low power. Nothing wrong with the top end hp of the t-3. I like em. They have a race bike "all or nothing" feel to them.

Edited by midnite

Do the toomeys and shearers sound simular?

442696[/snapback]

yes except when the shearers " come o n "the pipe they change their tone too a more raspy note and scream bloody murder on topend rpms similar to that of several thousand pissed off yellow jacket bees :evil:

yes except when the shearers " come o n "the pipe they  change their tone  too a  more raspy note and scream bloody murder on topend rpms  similar to that of several thousand pissed off yellow jacket  bees  :evil:

443453[/snapback]

Sounds nice.. I've never heard shearers before but the pipe I've always like to hear are CPI's.. How do the shearers run against them (sound wise and performance wise)

• 2 years later...

I would add my 2 cents. My bro has a ported (j arm) .040 over with t3's. I think the t3 sounds rad on top it sounds like a street bike and they really are lightswitch power. t5's pull good too but the 3's overtake them on top end. I have a set from lilmikey on my 00 and they are gonna be fitted so I have some clearance. They do fit but it is very tight.

Plus shearer pipes are the exact same design as a cut t3 with more pipe volume?!? I swear that is true.