Polishing my Fatty...

'shee

I want to get the awesome chrome shine out of my pipes. I have stuff melted to them because of my riding pants. :shrugani: Is there some sort of small buffer...not the size you would use on your cars? I have some mother's aluminum polish and it says not to use it on chrome, have any of you tried it and have sen what it does? Thanks for the help

Ya I use Mothers on my CPI's and it works awesome. It takes some work but they come out like new... and it takes off the melted plastic. I have never used a buffer though... I just polish them by hand. I also used it on some old T5's that were all blued and rusty and they cleaned up like new as well... but it is a lot of work.

i have used oven cleaner in the past for cooked on mud and plastic have tried it in the oven and just soaking it it worked both ways

ps dont use your wifes oven she gets a little upset i now have a yard sale oven in my shop for powdercoating and other stuff

• 2 weeks later...

19 gauge US steel and is nickel plated (ATV pipes have a chrome finish)... from FMF's site.

Anyway, if you have a thick buildup from your pants or boots I would recommend getting the bike and pipes up to riding temp, this will make the stuck on gunk very pliable. Then very carefully use a razor blade to "squeggy" (sp?) most of the material off. Let the pipes cool, so that the material will re-harden. Then use double ott #00 steel wool. And make sure it is #00. This will not scratch chrome, I use it on my T5's all the time, and have used it on car bumpers. As I recall, SOS and Brillo pads are much coarser, and would be more likely to scratch, although the soaping residue may reduce this. By doing these two steps it should have the pipes shining in no time at all. :headbang:

Well then FMF's are nickle plated NOT chrome (like toomys) ..Unless you have specificaly chromed them.

Mothers works great on them I know I have had a set for few years now :) I use my old cotton socks to polish mine. Make sure you get all the polish off or they will dull again quickly.

Also your pant crust will come off easier if the pipes are hot, but don't burn yourself.

Edited by Justintoxicated

Nope, older models may be but...

P I P E I N S T R U C T I O N S

Thank you for purchasing the FMF Fatty pipe for your motorcycle or ATV. We have spent countless

hours of design work and testing to insure you receive the highest quality product on the market today.

Your FMF Fatty pipe has been developed using the latest design, testing and manufacturing

technologies. Our Tru-Flo stamping process insures quality fitment and optimal performance. Your pipe is

manufactured from 19 gauge US steel and is nickel plated (ATV pipes have a chrome finish) to provide you with

a durable and easy to clean finish .

The FMF Fatty pipe is designed to broaden your existing powerband and give you an all around

power increase. This is our most popular pipe for that reason.

Check out our website www.fmfracing.com for more information.

Here's the link to where I got this from FMF's site.

http://www.fmfracing.com/tech_instructions/misc/fatty.pdf

True, FMF silencers are nickel plated (Toomey's slinecers are a satin finish aluminum). So a #00 steel wool process will clean them right up. As long as you use double ott, you shouldn't have any problem with scratching (I've never used WD-40 in any application, although it shouldn't hurt, it will just mean more cleanup time). Then if you really want to top them off find yourself a good chrome polish. I use a brand called Maas, it can be used on aluminum, chrome, etc.

Edited by 2003LimitedBanshee