Which Pipes for Sand Riding

vdubn

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I have a chance to upgrade my sons bike to some chrome Gold Series pipes, his current Fattys are pretty rusty.

I'm trying to determine if I should just strip and paint the Fattys and keep running them, or move to the Gold Series pipes. We ride sand 90% of the time, so that is what we want them for.

The silencers with the gold series are Turbine Core 2's, and the ones on the Fattys are Power Core 2. I could run one silencer with the other, etc., but wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'd love to get him a set of Toomeys, but hes on a small budget.

Thanks,

Dean

I'd love to get him a set of Toomeys, but hes on a small budget.

406264[/snapback]

I'd save up a little more money and get a pair of nice ones on ebay. If your not happy with the fatties now there why get another pair? :blink:

Weren't the old FMF's just Gold Series and they were replaced with the new design Gold Series Fatty's?

Look at the two sets of pipes, if the bends look the same then go with whichever looks nicer because they're the same pipe. There is a big difference between the original gold series and the gold series fatty's. If the two sets are different stick with the fatty's and paint em up or have em chromed.

Around here we have to be spark arrested so I run the Turbine Core's, if you don't have to be spark arrested go with the regular Power Core's in my opinion.

He's happy with the Fatty performance, they are just covered in rust, so getting the chrome Gold Series seemed like a good alternative to spending $350.

I read in some of my searches that they may have been the same, but I didn't know if anyone had 1st hand experience if there was any difference. Also, I am kind of assuming that the pipes are Fatty's, they have so much surface rust that I can't read the side of the pipe. I do know that they have PowerCore2 silencers on them.

Any opinions on differences between Power Core and Turbine Core2's?

Around here we have to be spark arrested so I run the Turbine Core's, if you don't have to be spark arrested go with the regular Power Core's in my opinion.

406289[/snapback]

I didn't know the difference between the silencers was spark arresters, thanks for the info... we don't require arresters here....

Weren't the old FMF's just Gold Series and they were replaced with the new design Gold Series Fatty's?

Look at the two sets of pipes, if the bends look the same then go with whichever looks nicer because they're the same pipe. There is a big difference between the original gold series and the gold series fatty's. If the two sets are different stick with the fatty's and paint em up or have em chromed.

406289[/snapback]

I owned the oringinal fmf gold series pipes. Yeah they were called just gold series but there is two types of the old pipes the low-end (wood pipe I think they called it) and the top-end pipe.(mine) The only bend difference is that the woods has a sloping bend at the beginning and the top end has a more straight up look to it. You'll notice that the fattie has a bend at the top of the pipe where the other do not.

What is the difference in performance between the Fatty's and the Gold Series?  Per FMF they are the same pipe. I have Gold Series on my  banshee and looking to get a pair of fatty's on my next one.

Chris

406322[/snapback]

If you have the top-end gold series pipes, there have more top-end than the fatties and less bottom, the low-end gold series pipes have less top-end and more bottom.

Why not just get some fmf pipe cleaner. I have used this stuff and works wonders on cleaning up fmf pipes. Sometimes it is hard to find. Then your son does not have to buy a new set or take these off and get them chromed. Just an idea.

Edited by cbn70