Rear tires for woods riding?

Can I get some input from you guys/gals on rear tire choices for woods riding on a near stock banshee? Right now the tires on the banshee are Holeshots. I have a set of 20" Kenda Knarlys on my 350X. My brother has a set of yamaha splined hubs with "honda" bolt pattern. I could easily swap wheels/tires from the X and mount the holeshots back on it.

I've not ridden a 2 stroke quad in the woods much at all. I've ridden 2 stroke bikes and 4 stroke trikes/quads extensively. Does a piped banshee seem to work better with more tire spin or traction? I'm thinking the Knarlys will hook up better than the holeshots but I don't want to "bog" the engine too much with "too much" traction.

Any experience, preferences, or comments are welcome.

thanks

The two rear tires that work the best without a doubt are :

1) Maxxis iRazr rears. These have some totally insane hookup and grab as well as sliding for going in and out of the trees. These work awesome, only downside is they wear quick and are heavy. These are the ONLY tires for a mud race, although I haven't tried tire #2 in mud and they're probably good as well.

2) Kenda Knarly GNCC version. The GNCC Knarlys were partly designed by Jeff Stoess ( a woods racer) and these things hook up just about as good as the iRazrs everwhere. They are awesome tires as well, IMO. If you don't have the cash to replace the razrs every 6 months (trailrider) or every 4 or so races, then get these. These are also lighter than the iRazrs I believe.

You can not go wrong with either of those. On a side note, the iRazr fronts absolutely suck!!! Do NOT run them, or you'll end up in a tree, IMO. The Kenda Klaw fronts are totally awesome. They corner well, don't collapse in the trees and have awesome bite. I run these now and soon I'll be running some Knarly rears (GNCC of course).

Note: The std. Knarly XC doesn't do well in the woods compared to the "GNCC" Knarly, so be sure to check that.

Thanks. What is the difference between the Knarly XC and GNCC? Mine are 6 ply and do not say XC or GNCC anywhere on them. Below is a pic of mine.

clutch2.jpg

I recently saw the iRazrs in a magazine on a quad and thought they looked pretty good. About time someone comes out with an Ohtsu radial competitor. Cash is tight, so i'll have to stick with what I have now. I was just curious which tire i should run on the banshee. I love the knarlys on my 350X.

Thanks. What is the difference between the Knarly XC and GNCC? Mine are 6 ply and do not say XC or GNCC anywhere on them. Below is a pic of mine.

clutch2.jpg

I recently saw the iRazrs in a magazine on a quad and thought they looked pretty good. About time someone comes out with an Ohtsu radial competitor. Cash is tight, so i'll have to stick with what I have now. I was just curious which tire i should run on the banshee. I love the knarlys on my 350X.

387250[/snapback]

Ohtsus suck. They're not bad but always super thin sidewalls and get flats way too easy.

In my honest opinion, the iRazrs have ubelievable hookup on the banshee. I believe they're the best tire for the rear as they hook up awesome, the weight helps keep them from overly spinning and they're just bad.

I'm not sure on the differences between the XC and the GNCC, but they GNCC is new and only comes in a 21" size, so I"m sure you have the regular style. The XC's are said to perform better in loose stuff, sand and mud, but not as well in technical stuff like woods and GNCC style terrain.

Yup, I bought mine a year ago, so, i'm sure they're the plain ones. They still work great. Thanks for the info. Gettin itchy now...heading to VA on saturday morning to pick up the new ride...cover, helmet, and damn near new bansheewith pipes /silencers and 4 new holeshots for 2K. Can't beat it with a stick. :dance:

what kind of dirt is it? Do you encounter mud? How are the holeshots grabbing on the dirt right now?

I know the holeshots I have (xct's), as soon as I wore the edges off them, all they want to do is spin. The more power I give the engine, the more they just want to spin. When I push the throttle, I want it to hook, and they just werent cutting it for me.

The mudsharks I've been running have been very good in every single situation I've put them through. They grab good in the snow, coal, sand, mud (especially mudholes they are amazing in), and grab great on dirt as well. They are very controllable.

I just went to hatfield-McCoy (woods riding mecca), and the mudsharks did amazing the whole time I was down there, and the first couple days it was muddy as can be, and the last couple days it was dry as could be, so they went through it all. I never got stuck once, and I had good traction everywhere.

The only downside to this tire is that it is a 21" tire, and the lugs are pretty soft (dont ride them on the road and they'll last a decent amount of time)

My back up tire is a set of 22" realtors, but they are a completely different ballgame

I've been using maxxis sur traks on my banshee for a while and I love em. They're kinda heavy and are 22's but they are a great trail tire. The lugs are really thick and i've used them for about 2 or 3 months now and show very little wear, if any.

They are perfect if your riding somewhere where your unsure about what your getting into. They hook really good in loose stuff and good in hardpack and pretty much anytype of trail condition. I've hit a few mudholes with em and I didn't even slow down or spin any. When ever I do hill climbs I love these tires, they hook up the whole way, but since there kinda heavy and dont spin much I keep it a gear lower than usuall.

We ride in a variety of terrain. Mud, coal, dirt, clay, hard pack, soggy marshy stuff, you name it we have it. (Western PA) I have not ridden it yet to see how the holeshots do. I am guessing it will be a spinfest. If it is, I'll hang the knarlys on it (provided I can get the hubs from my bro).

Thanks for all the comments. I'll get some pics up this weekend on my website (there are no pics yet at that link, but there's other content)

Banshee pics