crankcase oil coming out of overflow tube

Was running fine on saturday, rode all day without a problem. today i took it for a spin down the field and when i got back home i noticed an oil trail in the driveway where i had rode out. I just read the other topic where the dude was losing coolant, and Gimmeabeer mentioned somthing about oil too. Just want to make sure before i rip the head off????? It shouldnt have got hot enough to melt the o-ring before i rode out. I started it and let it idle while i adjusted my chain, so shee ran for about 5 minutes. :shrugani:

Unless I am missing something here I don't see how an o-ring in the head could allow coolant into the back 1/2 of the crankcase, it would leak into the jugs and front 1/2 causing it to probably run like shit since water is not combustable and does not compress well. If it leaked through the impeller seal into the clutch side of the case it could cause the crank case level to become too high and overflow. I am not sure what else would cause the crank case to overflow unless the bike has been upright or upside down allowing crank case oil into the far back chamber of the case where the over flow is located. Maybe someone else has another perspective on this, if so I'de like to hear it also.

SP

Unless I am missing something here I don't see how an o-ring in the head could allow coolant into the back 1/2 of the crankcase

376826[/snapback]

Just started thinking and i realize its not a head o-ring. Im not loosing coolant. I am loosing oil. The oil is dripping out of the front of the tube that comes from the back of the motor, and up from the impellar.......

Just started thinking and i realize its not a head o-ring. Im not loosing coolant. I am loosing oil. The oil is dripping out of the front of the tube that comes from the back of the motor, and up from the impellar.......

376829[/snapback]

The only thing I can think of is that it was just a fluke or the fluid level is to high for what ever reason. The oil coming out is not comtaminated with anything is it?

If it's alot of oil, then your ventin crank pressure into the tranny, which means you got a bad seal. If it's minor like say a few drops here and there...nothing to worry about. All banshee's do it, but rare that someone notices.

If it's alot of oil, then your ventin crank pressure into the tranny, which means you got a bad seal. If it's minor like say a few drops here and there...nothing to worry about. All banshee's do it, but rare that someone notices.

376872[/snapback]

Agreed....crankcase pressure leaking into the gearbox could do exactly that. The only place that could happen at is on the clutch side between the cases or between the crankshaft housing and the gearbox...correct?

:confused:

That or the case mating surfaces were not properly prepared and the sealent oozed out. But you are correct, the crank seal on the clutch side is 99% of the time the culprit to this problem.

Agreed....crankcase pressure leaking into the gearbox could do exactly that.  The only place that could happen at is on the clutch side between the cases or between the crankshaft housing and the gearbox...correct?

:confused:

376990[/snapback]

Thanks guys. It was kinda alot of oil. Enough for me to notice the little trail anyway. I doubt its beause the cases arent sealed properly. I shipped Jim my entire motor and he did the whole 9 yards, motor only has 50 hours max on it. I'll run it again tomorrow and see what happens, then I'll check the clutch seal.

• 17 years later...
4 hours ago, marktorres2000 said:

I’m having the same problem oil is coming out my rig jug more than the left in the front but my bike runs fine I put oil in it every time I’m done riding 7444C7A4-3E50-4CC0-BEA9-3B5C535477EA.thumb.jpeg.fce00ba4436918ad5f601bca9e424cd9.jpeg

The oil is seen on the side to seem like a base cylinder but that’s because I ride my banshee on 2 wheels most of the time / wheelies