help with my 87.. please

ok ive recently started 2 rebuild my 87 and im having problems with spark.. It has some thing 2 do with the whole T.O.R.S. system. Is there any way that i can eliminate the T.O.R.S. and just have throttle cables running into the carbs? please help.... Also i had it running for a little while but when it runs it carbon fouls the plugs really quick. I think the top ends are shot since they havent been rebuilt once since it was brand new! Is this my problem? .. Help please

ok ive recently started 2 rebuild my 87 and im having problems with spark.. It has some thing 2 do with the whole T.O.R.S. system.  Is there any way that i can eliminate the T.O.R.S. and just have throttle cables running into the carbs? please help.... Also i had it running for a little while but when it runs it carbon fouls the plugs really quick.  I think the top ends are shot since they havent been rebuilt once since it was brand new!  Is this my problem? .. Help please

370068[/snapback]

Im not sure if the tors is the problem,but you can get a tors eliminator kit vitos performance has a good one

Im not sure if the tors is the problem,but you can get a tors eliminator kit vitos performance has a good one

370070[/snapback]

Im positive that its the tors, thats what i have narrowed it down 2.. and also i found the kit and i will probablly order it. but thanks

Disconnect the TORS and see how it runs. Thats prolly the quickest way to find out if the TORS is the problem.

As for a new top end, check the compression. If it's all stock, anything below 100 psi needs a top end. If you're between 100-115, you can probably get buy with new rings and a hone.

will a shit stator cause it to have spark sometimes and no spark sometimes, like on and off? if so, are they hard to install a new one?.. and do they go bad on older quads often? Will i need a flywheel puller?

Edited by 87Shee

will a shit stator cause it to have spark sometimes and no spark sometimes, like on and off?  if so, are they hard to install a new one?.. and do they go bad on older quads often?  Will i need a flywheel puller?

370346[/snapback]

People have had various problems with the stators going out it can be off and on or none at all. They are only $125 and the CDI is about $300 so if you ended up replacing the CDI anyway it

Push is right on, I'd suspect the stator too, and check it with an ohmmeter (got some details on it in the FAQ below). Just a side note, the TORS won't cause a no-spark condition, it will just limit RPM if it detects the e-brake on or the throttle closed (both via switches that commonly fail or get out of adjustment), so if you've bypassed the system by unplugging the control box and have no spark, it's prolly stator, wiring (loose connector or wire grounding to frame), or CDI. Good luck.

Just a side note, the TORS won't cause a no-spark condition, it will just limit RPM if it detects the e-brake on or the throttle closed (both via switches that commonly fail or get out of adjustment), so if you've bypassed the system by unplugging the control box and have no spark, it's prolly stator, wiring (loose connector or wire grounding to frame), or CDI.  Good luck.

370452[/snapback]

Absolutely! ;)