replaced stator, coil and cdi still no spark

ok so i replaced my stator and pickup coil the air gap is .015 and got no spark. preplaced coil with known good one, got no spark. replaced cdi with one from procom engineering, got no spark, looked over entire harness found bent pin coming from stator to harness fixed checked and rechecked connection still no spark. sanded all paint off of coil mount to insure proper ground, got no spark. called local yamaha shop and got walked through every thing in case i missed some thing got frustrated tech on other end of the phone and no spark. tried to get advice from people on here and all i got was read the faqs and test every thing or swap out for know good parts. i replied that i had changed every thing but the cdi at that time and still had nothing. so i changed the cdi and got no more replies. could some one please help me before i pour gas on it and set it on fire to get insurance money. in the morning i am going to check all the grounding points on the bike and make sure they are good as well as go over the harness again ]PLEASE HELP.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a little plug above your left cylinder tucke slightly under the gas tank, unplug it...mine came unplugged when i bought it used, no TORS, single carb...anyway that is kinda my key, sinc i don;t have a key i just plug that in and boom, no spark :headbang: , try unplugging that first(can be stuck sometimes), then recheck grounds..and spark plug wires/connections

~Mark~

When doing your test for spark, are you removing the plug gap and testing for a spark to earth at about 4-6 mm?

Did the replacement (known to be working) coil have it's own plug caps?

Your pickup coil is at the minimum gap settings, but obviously working ok at that as your lights are trying to come on at kickover.

Did you wire your kill switch into ... 1/ Your old key switch system R/B, 2/ your old run switch system B/W, or 3/ directly to the coil (or coil wire), B or sometimes the +ve side O.

I think you're going to find your fault when checking your groundings. ... Hope so.

I take it you're using an Ohms meter for all these wiring checks.

Rare.

yes i am using a multi meter to test wireing. key switch wired red to black. the instructions that came with the stator fom ricky stator said set the air gap between .010 and .015. .015 is as close as i can get it. the known good coil has its own caps. i looked over the harness again this morning all grounds are good i noticed that at the front of the harness up by the light kill switch plug there is a two plug conector that has a geen with yellow striped wire and a black wire. i traced the green and yellow wire back to the cdi. i don't remember unpluging it and can't find where it plug in to.

yes i am using a multi meter to test wireing. key switch wired red to black. the instructions that came with the stator fom ricky stator said set the air gap between .010 and .015. .015 is as close as i can get it. the known good coil has its own caps. i looked over the harness again this morning all grounds are good i noticed that at the front of the harness up by the light kill switch plug there is a two plug conector that has a geen with yellow striped wire and a black wire. i traced the green and yellow wire back to the cdi. i don't remember unpluging it and can't find where it plug in to.

342720[/snapback]

Your plug sounds like the TORS connector but I'm not positive.

With my new RS .015 was as close as it allowed me to go. Nothings coming to mind other than connection problems at the switches.

342720[/snapback]

What year is your bike? .... I don't see a green/ yellow wire in my Yamaha manual's circuit diagrams.

2003, i don't see it anywhere either

342797[/snapback]

I'll bet a $100 you have a short in a wire....My buddy had a perfet running shee and he took it all apart to paint.Than it would not start.we did wire testing and replaced parts from my machine.no spark!!! took it to a yahama dealer he got it back the next day running like a champ.There was a bad wire.if you don't know what you're doing,good chance you'll be beating your head agaist the wall for many long nights in the garage.

I'll bet a $100 you have a short in a wire....My buddy had a perfet running shee and he took it all apart to paint.Than it would not start.we did wire testing and replaced parts from my machine.no spark!!! took it to a yahama dealer he got it back the next day running like a champ.There was a bad wire.if you don't know what you're doing,good chance you'll be beating your head agaist the wall for many long nights in the garage.

342810[/snapback]

And did you work out why your tests didn't show up this "bad wire"?

Rare.