Tough Power Band

I own a 2001 Banshee with several mods including a 5mm stroker. It dyno's out at 73 HP and runs really strong as long as you can keep it in the power. I ride mainly sand and ride with 2 other banshee's that are just piped, jetted & run k&n clamp ons. As expected I am faster than both of them but my bike is so much harder to ride. When I jump on one of their quads it is so easy to stay in the power band....start bogging down drop a gear and you are off. On mine I am constantly fanning the clutch and down shifting to stay in the power. It almost feels like my top end is bad but compression is good and jetting is spot on. The problem is worse the hotter she gets. I am wondering if it could be my TORS system giving me problems? Thought maybe clutch but doesn't feel like it is slipping...just really tough to keep in the power. I added a 13 tooth sprocket hoping that would help but no change. Sorry for the long post. I just thought with so much more power than stock it would be a little easier to stay in the power. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

I own a 2001 Banshee with several mods including a 5mm stroker.  It dyno's out at 73 HP and runs really strong as long as you can keep it in the power.  I ride mainly sand and ride with 2 other banshee's that are just piped, jetted & run k&n clamp ons.  As expected I am faster than both of them but my bike is so much harder to ride.  When I jump on one of their quads it is so easy to stay in the power band....start bogging down drop a gear and you are off.  On mine I am constantly fanning the clutch and down shifting to stay in the power.  It almost feels like my top end is bad but compression is good and jetting is spot on.  The problem is worse the hotter she gets.  I am wondering if it could be my TORS system giving me problems?  Thought maybe clutch but doesn't feel like it is slipping...just really tough to keep in the power.  I added a 13 tooth sprocket hoping that would help but no change.  Sorry for the long post.  I just thought with so much more power than stock it would be a little easier to stay in the power.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!

335435[/snapback]

Has your motor been ported , by whom and what style? Some styles of porting are real peaky on the power with a very narrow power band. It does make it difficult to stay in the power band riding shee's that are like this though generally they will make more power but over a narrower spread.

the pipes have a lot to do with your PB delivery. you didnt say which ones you have though so i cant comment there. however, that 13t might be hurting you. with all that extra power you should be able to turn a 16/41 setup with 20in paddles. so having it low geared like that may just be compounding your problem. id try at least a 15t next time your at the dunes and see how you like it. :)

the pipes have a lot to do with your PB delivery.  you didnt say which ones you have though so i cant comment there.  however, that 13t might be hurting you.  with all that extra power you should be able to turn a 16/41 setup with 20in paddles.  so having it low geared like that may just be compounding your problem.  id try at least a 15t next time your at the dunes and see how you like it.  :)

335446[/snapback]

That's a very good point, that could definitely be a factor in your case...

the pipes have a lot to do with your PB delivery.  you didnt say which ones you have though so i cant comment there.  however, that 13t might be hurting you.  with all that extra power you should be able to turn a 16/41 setup with 20in paddles.  so having it low geared like that may just be compounding your problem.  id try at least a 15t next time your at the dunes and see how you like it.  :)

335446[/snapback]

I am currently running the Toomey T-5's..full race port

Has your motor been ported , by whom and what style? Some styles of porting are real peaky on the power with a very narrow power band. It does make it difficult to stay in the power band riding shee's that are like this though generally they will make more power but over a narrower spread.

335445[/snapback]

My motor was built by White Knuckle Racing in Oregon. They specialize in Banshee's and it has been bullet proof. It was ported with a full Race port for the sand. So you are probably right about the narrow band. I am running toomey t-5's. I am wondering if V-force reeds would help??

Just some ideas,

If you are having trouble keeping in the band in 5th and 6th but pull 3rd and 4th pretty solid then I would go bigger on the front sproket, say 15 tooth, so you will be pulling 4th the same speed as when you were in 5th with a 13 tooth. When I dynoed my banshee It made the most power in 4th and droped off a fair amount in 5th and a bunch is 6th. 6th was a very narrow power range at the top of the gear. A local bulder has his 4mm shee ported so that the max power is made in 5th gear and he likes to run a 13 tooth in the sand because his 5th and 6th gear are very useable.

If your running stock carbs they might be holding you up some. I have heard that they will start to run out of fuel on high HP shee motors unless you have a modded fuel clock or a in-line pump. Maybe the carbs are starting to lean out on long pulls from getting low on fuel?

Some things you also might try if you haven't done these already is bumping up compression and a little more timing advance. If you are using custom cut stroker domes, you could possibly have NOSS make you some domes that are better for midrange power if you have top endy cut domes (narrow squish band and shallow dish shaped dome). The better shaped domes NOSS made for me helped my shee's low end/midrange power and cut down on feathering the clutch alot on my shee.

in the scheme of race ports, the t-5s have a pretty mild curve. not like the stockers, but they are certainly no CPI out frames either. T-5's are typically the dune pipe of choice also, so i dont think that has much to do with your problem. The first thing id do it change up my front sprocket, bump it up 2-3 teeth. Most built 4mm's can pull a 17/41 in the dirt no prob, but sand will bog you a little, or a lot, more depending on conditions. Also change this out cause its the cheapest to do by far. :D Brads point on porting is also very valid. Try to get in touch with your motor builder and see if hell give you your port specs. The ex. height and duration reeeeaaaally comes into play here, as these will make the most difference in your power band.

One thing I have seen on a few of the strokers that causes a problem like this is too much squish clearance. There are so many variations in gasket and spacer thicknesses. Check your squish clearance. It may prevent you from chasing a lot of things.