Namura,Pro-x,Vertex,WSM,Vitos,who runs them?

Nightrider

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in theory they should give you more power. the SS pistons have a special cut to them on the exhaust side that is tapered off to be 2mm lower the the rest of the piston crown. this gives the cheated effect of raising the exhaust port 2mm.

on a side note, how come no one has done this for the transfers as well. it would give less compression, but that can be fixed in the domes. anyone know, or am i crazy? :wacko:

Edited by therail

Did u seen any power increase with the vitos super stock pistons because i was reading about them and it said something about it will give u 8hp in the mid and 6 on the top end

327805[/snapback]

Yes I seen a very noticeable power increase with Vito's SS puistons

I work at a machine shop where we only build race car engines, sprint car, dragster, stock car.... We only run forged pistons. Yes forged pistons do expand a little more but if its honed right with a torque plate, with the right clearance on them they will run a very long time. When I first got my banshee I built my own torque plate and honed the cylinders to 64.5mm. I bought a set of wisceo pro-lites and I have ran it for about 100 hrs and have only lost 5psi in both cylinders, when I took it apart the cylinders onlyhad .001wear.

I just checked the weight of my 64mm OEM piston with no rings, no carbon, and no wrist pin ..... 187.6 grams, stock wrist pin is 45g. 64.5mm wisceo pro-lite is 185.6g wrist pin is 41.5g. So when I went from a smaller cast piston to a bigger forged piston I lost 5.5 grams. Not alot of difference in weight in that small of piston. But it is lighter.

I swear by vito's SS. They are insane, provide noticable gains, and are very rugged. I'd use these for a cheap port alternative for sand riding.

I now use the prolites due to the lighter weight, changing the lightswitch powerband effect.. wiseco's evened out the power throughout the band.

With vito's i'd loose traction no matter what tires I ran. (No sand around here, just hard dirt.)

wiseco prolites are the shizzel ,most of these aftermarket pistons are hacked up versions and while weighing slightly less, will shatter or crack usually on the intake side due to the larger intake windows being machined bigger.a wiseco forged pro lite is far superior to stock in about every way. they feel lighter in my hands than stock ,they dont have a crude rugged casting on tops that fuck your domes all up especially on .035 squish claerance ,they dont have small painted intakes and basically cast is a crude method of making anything ,its not nearly precise and weights and sizes will vary drastically ,im a tool and die maker so i know about these things and ive seen vitos ruin motors too. stick with whats proven( wiseco ),besides these power pistons are not much of an alternative to a good port job,definitly not 8hp gain :P stop tricking your motor and getthe real thing ,some porters will do your jugs for 250$ and youll see real world gains too. my.02 :cheers:

wiseco prolites are the shizzel ,most of these aftermarket pistons are hacked up versions and while weighing slightly  less, will shatter or crack usually on the intake side due to the larger intake windows being machined bigger.a wiseco forged pro lite is far superior to stock in about every way. they feel lighter in my hands than stock ,they dont have a crude rugged casting on tops that fuck your domes all up especially on .035 squish claerance ,they dont have small painted intakes and basically cast is a crude method  of making anything ,its not nearly precise and weights and sizes will vary drastically ,im a tool and die maker so i know about these things and ive seen vitos ruin motors too

Yea,well a tool and die maker is a long way from a metalurgist don't you think?Cast aluminum is alot different than cast iron and how much cast aluminum do you actually work with as a tool and die guy?My guess=0

As a industrial machinist I could hardly recall working with cast aluminum,but definitely cast iron.As far as your triple beam hands,I suggest you recalibrate them.

I think you would be suprised if you actually took the time to weigh a dozen of the same cast pistons.You'll see there not "drastically "different.

Obviously you run Wisecos,therefore anything else to you will be inferior,simply on the basis that you don't run them.I won't run them and I get piston kits for $33/ea.What does that tell you.They are overkill up to a certain performance level.

I ran a stock cast piston with only .029 squish for 3 years,never f-ed up my domes.

Yea,well a tool and die maker is a long way from a metalurgist don't you think?Cast aluminum is alot different than cast iron and how much cast aluminum do you actually work with as a tool and die guy?My guess=0

As a industrial machinist I could hardly recall working with cast aluminum,but definitely cast iron.As far as your triple beam hands,I suggest you recalibrate them.

I think you would be suprised if you actually took the time to weigh a dozen of the same cast pistons.You'll see there not "drastically "different.

Obviously you run Wisecos,therefore anything else to you will be inferior,simply on the basis that you don't run them.I won't run them and I get piston kits for $33/ea.What does that tell you.They are overkill up to a certain performance level.

I ran a stock cast piston with only .029 squish for 3 years,never f-ed up my domes.

330440[/snapback]

first off as a journey man toolamker i had to take many classes in metelurgy ,so yeah i know it,yes ive worked with alot more types of steels and exotic materials than a simple machinist often even sees.ive ground it,burnt it on ram EDM,cut it oncnc wire EDMs, cnc vertical milled it ,cnc laser etched,and the list goes on, ive used other pistons and yes im partial to wiseco but not because of the brochure,its because of my personal experiance with them,and yes ive never put eitherof them on a digital balance beam or viewed them under an electron microscope, so what?cast is an imperfect process in comparison, period.and the tops of stock are crude rough castings on every one ive seen ,that will load up with residue and carbon and create hot spots and uneven burning,its inferior ,period. not trying to argue ,this has been my experiance with stock ,im sure theres lotsa guys on here that love them ,thats great, more power to them! :headbang:

first off as a journey man toolamker i had to take many classes in metelurgy ,so yeah i know it,yes ive worked with alot more types of steels and exotic materials than  a simple machinist often even sees.ive ground it,burnt it on ram EDM,cut it oncnc wire EDMs, cnc vertical milled it ,cnc laser etched,and the list goes on, ive used other pistons and yes im partial to wiseco but not because of the brochure,its because of my personal experiance with them,and yes ive never put eitherof them on a digital balance beam or viewed them under an electron microscope, so what?cast is an imperfect process in comparison, period.and the tops of stock are crude rough castings on every one ive seen ,that will load up with residue and carbon and create hot spots and uneven burning,its inferior ,period. not trying to argue ,this has been my experiance with stock ,im sure theres lotsa guys on here that love them ,thats great, more power to them!

Please give me an example of when you've worked with anything cast aluminum?I've operated EDMs too and never recall working with cast aluminum.Many different aluminum alloys,but never cast

My experience with Wisecos is there almost too hard.Hard on sleeves.The introduction of higher Silicon content into pistons have really maximized the potential for cast,take hyperutectic pistons for example.

Not tryin to parade cast aluminum as the model piston,but everything gets better with technology.