Anyone sick of owning a banshee

Banshee are a high performance machine and with all that high RPM flying through the motor and external parts being maxed most of the time, it pays to keep an eye out for troublesome parts, I'm sure you already knew all that though. I use to own a 1992 Yamaha Warrior and rode that machine from 1996 til three years ago. I ended up buying this banshee I have now off of my friends brother. I didnt know his brother owned a Black and Red 1997 banshee and and thats the color I was looking for. His Brother wanted a four stroke and I wanted a two stroke,..so we swapped and I booted him $600.00. I THOUGHT HE WAS NUTS!!! I'm the third owner of it. I have had mine for around three years and its the first Banshee I've ever owned. The previous owners that had my machine rode it some , but not alot. Two of my friends owned banshees in 1996 and I wanted one but they seemed to cost more than the amount of money I had saved up. I can remember some things that needed attention when I got it. I wasnt a member of this HQ yet and I knew nothing about banshees...., heck.....another friend of mine came over a week after I got it and watched me ride around the yard. I pulled up to him and said " heck I can handle banshees this is a breeze". He laughed and eyed my machine alittle and said "When you go back out there dont try to shift it like your old warrior take the RPM up higher before you shift."

Everyone here reading this post probably knows what happened next. I went back out in the yard made a few passes by my friend and as I went by he gave me the Thumb reving sign ....and thats what I did. Now remember....I rode four strokes so I hammered it like a fourstroke......I lasted 2 seconds in the Shee powerband and filled my freakin shorts. After getting use to the pull of the Shee....I was in LOVE!!!!! All that time I spent on my old warrior I admired the AWESOME looks of the Mighty Shee. My Shee wasnt plagued with alot of problems to start with , but there was things stock that was wore alittle. I just bidded my time and got the parts I needed, even had to give up some riding time with friends cause of my bikes down time...I wasnt sure how to put the parts on and my hands shook for fear of messing up my Shee. I found this site and started listening to alot of people on here. I still remember those HQers today. I admit ,...I had to take my machine to the stealership a few times over the last three years and fork the cash for their work, but gained their knowledge after they told me what it was that went wrong with my Bike. I have heard that some Shees are more tempermental than others and I'm sure that four strokes are the same way. I understand what your feeling,....I felt that way when had a small problem with just a black ground wire that went to my coil. I was new at that time to banshees and I was looking for something major and overlooked that wire hanging in front of my face as I looked around the motor area. After tighten the clamp on the end of the black wire I snapped it back on and WOOOOOOW .....Shee reved......My first experience as a Shee mechanic!

Have your bike checked out by a good shop or we'll help you in anyway we can here. One way or another we'll get your Shee running like it should. We're here for you...man. :headbang:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think a few people already said it.your machine is onley as reliable as the person who put it together.you have to be patient and organized.i bet your the kinda guy who doesnt even have a manual for it.ive seen it to many times.these posts make me sick,sell it you sally.buy a 4 stroke and and a pack of tampons.j/k with the last part

Every true banshee owner has been down the same road as you are going down right now. Don't let these guys tell you it's your fault for not maintaining it. That's a bunch of bull shit. I can't wait till one of their lower rod bearings goes out and they get to hear it's your fault for not maintaining it. The banshee has it's quirks for sure. And there have been many times where I hated the damn bitch. All these guys in here act like it's the most reliable thing they have ever owned, and for the most part mine has been reliable, but I've spent hours fucking with the carbs, misplacing crap and not ever finding it (which I guess is my own fault, but if I didn't own the bitch, there would be nothing to misplace.), spending money trying to make her look attractive cause some guys with nothing better to do than pimp out there banshee's and post pics on this site and make you feel bad about your ride, and all the other bull shit involved in owning a banshee. I don't care if that last sentence was a run on. Come to think of it, the only real reason why I own a banshee is cause I'd be dead if I owned a dirtbike and I hate four strokes with a passion. Well there is my vent. Owning a banshee is a curse. Your fucked if you own one and fucked if you don't cause it's never fast enough, well suspended enough, pretty enough, or it's broke down and your buying shit to make it run again. If you don't own one, your getting past by some spoiled kid on a brand new 450. Both of the above suck equally unless you are you got both time and money for banshee crap.

Edited by roosthrower

if your not interested in fixing it, that's fine, but if you are, or you want your machine to be square, let us know what exactly is breaking or not running right.  that is extremely vague and it's hard for us to know what's going on with that little bit of info.  give us some specifics and i guarantee someone here can get you going right.

299752[/snapback]

you might also go to your local deal and pick up a clymers manual...there very handy.

Well youll never belive it ater i made the post i figured id take it out in the snow and see if it stopped runnin bad, well i made it down the road a bit and bam it just shut off got it home and took it apart and the lower rod bearing went and ate the piston up, this coming 2 months after i rebuilt the top end and about a month after i had to have all the crank seals replaced.. Is this some sort of sick joke?? The guy that fixes banshees around here said my best bet it to buy a entire new crank a wiesco or somthing, so what the hell could of cuased the rod to jump like that i was takin a nice easy ride down the road.. at this point i feel its not worth fixin becuase as the trend has been ill get it asll fixed and give it aweek somthing else will break..Whats my best bet here?? Anyone have a used aftermarket crank, kickstart, plastics?? thanx for all the help i really do appreciate it

I think i should change my name to "Lazy Reader"....i dont even bother reading what everyone else typed out i just read the headline........I could NEVER..Ever get sick of my Banshee, it's the "bestest" toy thati've ever owned.........i never get bored when im screamiing along just waiting to almost hit something or jump something ta get outta the way..................and i got sleds and jetskis and nothing pulls like the 1 and only Banshee......................................i lost my train of thought.......................maybe you need a big wheel? 2005!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the rebuild wasn't done correctly. Sorry to hear your troubles man, it can be a big PITA, but that's just what it sounds like happened. Get a crank and have it installed professionally, then do a proper break in and see how it goes. Or sell it, I'm sick of hearing about how all it does is break.

I got an 18\19 year old Rz350 with 11,400 miles on it. Original set of pistons and crank. :shrugani: And while most of my riding is crusin' to work at 55mph, I do like to zip around town with it, revving the engine to 7 or 8 grand before I shift, wheelie coming outta stoplights etc etc. Runs great for me.

My Banshee motor was last built in 2001 and it gets riden alot. Tore the top end apart last springtime right before Coalfest because I wanted to visually inspect the rings and both pistons look great with one ring sligtly stuck in the groove. I didn't rebuilt it and put it back together and ran it the rest of the year with no problems except for a little smoke on the stuck ring side when the engine is cold. 160psi in the juggs on a 3+ year old engine.

Im not sayin' these engines are bulletproof cause iv had my share of headaches at first, but I wouldnt lie about the two paragraphs I wrote above. Take that info for what its worth. :shrugani:

i know how you feel ive had my shee for about 5 years been through 2cranks &three top ends last time i did the top end i took it out & 5 hours later the rod bearing took a shit she has been down for the last 6 months saving money for some new parts but for the first 2-3 years i had no problems go with theflow youl get it right take the time to figgure out the prob make it right & youll be happyer then if you get rid of it for a 4 stroke

Yeah i gotta see what im gonna do with it when its all fixed , Its like this to make a long story short,I rode my foreman 450 for about a year and started to want a sport atv real badly, then i saw it a guy that lives by me had his banshee out for a run after i heard it and saw that thing throw a roost i new i was destined some day to get one, so i come on here read up about them and as with anything i had the "wont happn to me attitude" about the problems everyone was warning me about the banshee. So i looked in the papershop saw an add for a 97 banshee with some pipes and other good stuff for 3500, once i saw those red and black flames from the alba graphic kit i didnt think it could get any better until i kicked over the beast and heard the sweeet sound of the fmfs then i took off and was scared to take it out of second becuase the instant pull from idle up, so i bought it couldnt sleep (no joke till i bought it). So thing started breakin slowly then the carbs needed a cleanin and me at the time had no idea how to do anything fixed it and it never ran great again, then the top end went then the crank seals then needed new carbs and now its the crank and the top end that are gone, so what would you guys suggest to make it run again like the day i bought it to pull hard and no bogging or spitting from 1st gear up?? So i ask you help me git er done, and restore this beast to her old self , suggest maybe a vitos crank and some parts so that this thing may run again better than ever.. Thank you and may god bless

Yeah i gotta see what im gonna do with it when its all fixed , Its like this to make a long story short,I rode my foreman 450 for about a year and started to want a sport atv real badly, then i saw it a guy that lives by me had his banshee out for a run after i heard it and saw that thing throw a roost i new i was destined some day to get one, so i come on here read up about them and as with anything i had the "wont happn to me attitude" about the problems everyone was warning me about  the banshee. So i looked in the papershop saw an add for a 97 banshee with some pipes and other good stuff for 3500, once i saw those red and black flames from the alba graphic kit i didnt think it could get any better until i kicked over the beast and heard the sweeet sound of the fmfs then i took off and was scared to take it out of second becuase the instant pull from idle up, so i bought it couldnt sleep (no joke till i bought it). So thing started breakin slowly then the carbs needed a cleanin and me at the time had no idea how to do anything fixed it and it never ran great again, then the top end went then the crank seals then needed new carbs and now its the crank and the top end that are gone, so what would you guys suggest to make it run again like the day i bought it to pull hard and no bogging or spitting from 1st gear up?? So i ask you help me git er done, and restore this beast to her old self , suggest maybe a vitos crank and some parts so that this thing may run again better than ever.. Thank you and may god bless

300716[/snapback]

sounds like when you fixed the carbs you nuked your motor... melted pistons and blown bottom are signs of a lean motor. to much air not enough oil or both. do you want to sell it as a roller and do you have a title ???

Every true banshee owner has been down the same road as you are going down right now. Don't let these guys tell you it's your fault for not maintaining it. That's a bunch of bull shit. I can't wait till one of their lower rod bearings goes out and they get to hear it's your fault for not maintaining it. The banshee has it's quirks for sure. And there have been many times where I hated the damn bitch. All these guys in here act like it's the most reliable thing they have ever owned, and for the most part mine has been reliable, but I've spent hours fucking with the carbs, misplacing crap and not ever finding it (which I guess is my own fault, but if I didn't own the bitch, there would be nothing to misplace.), spending money trying to make her look attractive cause some guys with nothing better to do than pimp out there banshee's and post pics on this site and make you feel bad about your ride, and all the other bull shit involved in owning a banshee. I don't care if that last sentence was a run on. Come to think of it, the only real reason why I own a banshee is cause I'd be dead if I owned a dirtbike and I hate four strokes with a passion. Well there is my vent. Owning a banshee is a curse. Your fucked if you own one and fucked if you don't cause it's never fast enough, well suspended enough, pretty enough, or it's broke down and your buying shit to make it run again. If you don't own one, your getting past by some spoiled kid on a brand new 450. Both of the above suck equally unless you are you got both time and money for banshee crap.

299947[/snapback]

:cry::cry::cry:-_--_--_-