Wow

hotrodbanshee

what do you ask for when you take it in , just say lighten my fly wheel or is there a sertin amount you have to take off

285196[/snapback]

You should have your flywheel lightened by someone who knows what they are doing. Either BDBanshee or myself can assist you in this. Not that it is an exact science, but it definitely needs to be done right..... Tolerance within .0005" should be expected....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got back from Glamis yesterday. The boon tuned flywheel rips in the dunes. I recommend doing a +4 timing mod at the same time, they really compliment eachother in the sand. Im no shit "in the pipes" right off idle now. I fully expect my stock crank to go boom any day now the way it is reving.......but that is my own fault.

Thanks Boon

I recommend doing a +4 timing mod at the same time, they really compliment eachother in the sand.

Does that mean increasing the advance 4 degrees? Is this timing mod worthwhile on a nearly-stock (just pipes, K&N, jetted) engine? Does it require higher octane fuel, rejetting or running a richer premix?

TIA,

_dennis

Does that mean increasing the advance 4 degrees?  Is this timing mod worthwhile on a nearly-stock (just pipes, K&N, jetted) engine?  Does it require higher octane fuel, rejetting or running a richer premix?

TIA,

_dennis

291010[/snapback]

Yes it means advance timing 4 degrees, and yes im sure that pretty much everyone will tell you that it is a good mod. no need for different fuel or ratio.

You can go both ways on that. :unsure: You can either send yours out to have it lightened, or buy one off ebay or something that is already lightened. If you choose the first option, you can send your flywheel to either BDBanshee-(BansheeWorx) or myself to have it lightened. Either way, you will like it. :cheers:

Mine's on its way back from boon right now along with my shift star. The only thing I'm bummed about is I'm doing other mods to the engine while its down so I won't know what difference the flywheel made. Oh well no big deal as long as it runs faster and better then before the rebuild!

what would a lightened flywheel do for a drag bike application...say a 350 hooking tight on a set of studs? help or hurt?

294406[/snapback]

I guess it depends..lol. If you are getting good traction it would help. It revs faster on the bottom during acceleration. It can cause a loss of traction from the extra gain in acceleration. If you've ever noticed a lot of asphalt drag racers use pvl ignition. They don't use a flywheel.

It is definitely a worthwhile mod with a quicker acceleration and smoother idle ( really smooth). I could not find any draw back to the performance whatsoever. Only thing I have ever heard negative in any way about a lightened flywheel is problems with motor dying and the slotted flywheels have a greater tendancy to shatter. I have not seen any evidence to back these claims in either scenario. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Thar she blows!!!!! :cry: I am thinking that the Ricky flywheels are made differently. Actually, I know they are made differently. By that I mean to different specs.... The dimensions, and where the magnets sit in the flywheel are different. I got all the dimensions down now, however, so I am ready for the next prospective Ricky owner who may want to dabble in the throttle response end of things......