Vitos or Wiseco...?

Capone

I'm on my third rebuild, 1st was wiseco and the skirt broke off... next 2 were vito's, one twisted a ring and caught the exhaust port, the other leaned out and seized the rings. I ride very very hard at high revs, wide open street and dirt riding/ some trails. I was wondering if you guys would think Pro Lites would stand up to the punishment of this or if I should stick to vito's? And if I'm correct pro lites rev a bit quicker right? Might be nice for some low rev take offs/trails. Thanks for looking.

Vito's pistons are made by Wiseco, built to their specs. I wouldn't worry about Pro Lites at all. If they're installed correctly, and the bore is prepared correctly there shouldn't be any trouble. That goes for the both. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

If your killing engines like that,no piston will stand up to that abuse.Obviously you must have no respect for your machine...OR you should check with who ever is responsible for the machining and installations of your top-ends.

I'm hard on my shee too,I go through a set of reeds every year and have over 100 hrs on the stock top-end,yet my comp is still 145psi (milled head)and shees quiet as a church mouse.

Sounds like something ain't right.

I believe there was an airleak in between the cases, i was told it looked like someone put them together using some kind of household caulk. Parts of the cases weren't even sealed, and I replaced the end crank seals. So I believe the bottom end should be good. The last time the bore was too big. I got a cool head, and run engine ice to help cooling. I'm replacing my airbox with dual pod k&n's to reduce risk of an airleak there. Reeds will be replaced with carbon fiber ones. I run wide open ALOT, and I mix 32:1 with yamalube. I just wanted to make sure these piston skirts aren't going to shatter like my first set of wiseco's. I used vito's cause they're thicker, but thats when I had problems.

p.s. How can I have no respect for my machine? I dump tons of money into it buying top of the line parts. They should stand up to wide open street runs, or anything else I should throw at it. If not maybe I should buy a four stroke?

Nice sig mike...heh. I will let 5 min warm up It gets a new bore everytime it gets rebuilt. Last time it was a sloppy bore, time before that it leaned out with too small of a main jet, first time it over headed due to a blown head gasket. Now, with all that fixed, I was the dependability of a four stroke with the insane power and untouchable speed of my shee. I have a new machine shop doing my work this time, hopefully it will do the trick.

Yep, those things will do it. The 3 biggest killers of motors are:

1) Lean jetting

2) Overheating

3)Poor preparation of cylinders before installation

And it sounds like you've experienced all three. Get it right the fourth time and you'll be set.

I just did my top end....I used a local machinest here in Sacramento that all the shops use for the bore.

I was going to use Wiseco's till the machinest told me they were junk. Then I say to him...what about Vito's? And he replied by saying Vito just takes Wiseco's and mills off some of the area around the exhaust ..... modifying it basically. Then I say, what about pro lites...and he say's....they are lighter buy not stronger.

So after all that I say to him....what's the best then? And he replies, "stock or Pro-X".

I have heard lots of good things about Pro-X's .... also, they are built to OEM specs.

So thats what I went with. So we will see.

I figured he was the machinest....so he would know.

:confused:

proper break in time and any piston should last.... plus it helps if the guy knows what the hell he is doing when boring the cylinders....

I'm with mike on this let ur machine get properly warm-up time and it should be ok...

abuse it and ur re-doing it..

Chris

P.S. .80 over wiseco's 2 yrs no prob.

Edited by banshee76179