wiring harness waterproofing?

My shee dies when i get one of the conections from the cdi wet i have limited this to one set of wires. I had siliconed them and it made it worse. I wrapped them all in baloons and zip tied the end tight to seal them but they weather and fall apart after a couple of months, and it looks ghetto. I always could get a new harness from my dealer but there must be a tricker looking more functional trend out there????

help as i just got the bitch running again and it is very wet up in new hampshire where i abuse........i mean ride it. thanks

I live in Massachusetts. I ride at the hopkington everett reservoir usually but sometime goe to freemont. There is not much legal riding here so I still do the covert ops in Wilmington, MA at a local sand pit. Just watch out for john law thats all. I'm 31 years old and can't afford to be caught again on the streets/ ril road tracks etc.

Qestion on shrink wrap, can u shrink it with a hair dryer??

ive seen some work on a hair dryer on high but the thicker black tubing needs more heat then a hd will deliver, ended up using a bic lighter.

• 3 weeks later...
are you planing on building a submashee ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: we at work build complete wireing looms for all our street regd quads that we sell,the best stuff tu use is heat shrink,and this selfwelding tape,its a rubber streatchy tape a bit like electrical tape but thicker and rubber,the total advantage is that i welds itsself together and does not come apart like electrical tape,after a few hours if its been tightly streatched on,there aint no way water can come in and the only way to get it off is to cut it off,im just puttin a new wireing loom on mine now cos the original is shit!!! realy highly recomend this tape,forget electrical tape its not ment for water and dirt and bike cleaner and oil ect,,any electrican should know what u mean if u ask em,if they dont then there a cowboy! :D

The self welding tape is also called cold shrink tape. It is WAY better than electrical tape. It's almost as good as heat shrink tubing, and easier to install without having to cut wires, since you just wrap it. You can pick it up at http://www.waytekwire.com/ among other places. If you go with heat shrink tubing, get the polyolefin lined(sometimes called adhesived lined) tubing. When it shrinks downs, an inner lining melts, and makes an even stronger and more water resistant seal. I think waytek has that too. I used the heat shrink usually, but if I am working in a harness where I can't easily slide the tubing over the wire, the cold shrink tape is my next choice. It has held up pretty well the times I have used it.

Good Luck,

Brad

Electronics Engineer

Dynatek

My Banshee used to die every time I hit a big puddle or got a good soaking some other way. Fried a CDI from it once. I finally got sick of having to dodge every puddle on the trail and decided to check the wiring. I pulled the whole wiring harness off. Some of the wrap looked bad so I decided to pull it all apart and inspect then re-wrap it. When I got it apart I found a few place where the insulation was rubbed off. I shrink wrapped all those places then I removed the crappy connectors they used to hold the wire together and soldered it. I then used silicon on the connections and then shrinked wrap on that. When all done I wrapped the whole thing. Now I could drive it through a lake without it shorting out. A lot of work, but well worth it.