cpi inframe vs. rocket

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys , here's a pic of Rocket pipes installed with the fenders on.

Does require extensive trimming.

side_rocket_pipe.jpg

Ok here's one of the airbox , these pipes clear the stock airbox just fine , heck they fit better than my LRD's did.

air_box.jpg

Ok one minor problem , the stock pipe tabs will require some minor trimming.

bottom_pipe_view.jpg

One more , side view with left side installed , will add more pics when I get done , got to go help the wife for a while now. :(

back_up_side_veiw.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I should be receiving my rockets in a week or 2, and I was real curious on how the chrome looks, but from your pics it looks killer! One suggestion though, You should just cut off that exhaust tab it really has no purpose anymore, plus you save some weight :P Awesome job with the install!

For the poll at this point I have to go with C because I know that CPI's work good and havent seen any of the other pipes in action.

coolhead, there is no snow in your forecast but there is your new rocket pipes, minkia has the eta on them thanks as im sure youll be happy with fit, finish and performance!

You dont know how happy that makes me.Ive had a hard-on for these damn pipes since i orderd them! I didnt want to mention minkia in that post cause i know it wasnt his fault for the wait. I cant wait to bring to silver lake to try them out. :cheers:

Wow those pipes look mean what about those Shearer pipes? Vs Rockets? Where do the Rockets start making power?

I love my Fatties because they kick in fast and then I can jsut keep shifting untill I'm in 6th...Pipe performance also varies with motor work...Porting + SSts is not as nice as Fattys + porting....Typicaly.........I'm wanting some with more top now that I'm done with the engine work...

heres another pic

H'mmm that shee looks familiar! ;)

Just thought I'd add that the pipes fit very well once the stock front mounts are hacked off, and fenders are trimmed. I put some wrap around the right stinger tube because it was laying right against the frame, no biggie. The only hard part about mounting was due to the billit pipe to stinger seals that I bought. It fit the diameter of the pipes perfectly but made the spacing of the system too long so I had to trim approximately 1/2 inch off the stinger tube. The stinger tubes on the rockets have a much much larger diameter than the FMF's.

As for touching the pipes with my legs, I do hit them when I land rough and slide forward on the seat but not when riding under normal conditions.

My impression from going from Gnarlies to Rockets (non ported) was that acceleration on top was way better because it was making quite a bit more HP and revving a fair amount higher so when you go into the next gear (like 5th to 6th) your comming into the next gear higher in the RPM range where you will be already well into the powerband and making more power as well, therefore not as likely to bog as before. It felt like the FMF's left a lot of power sitting on the table. I'm pretty sure with porting the power gap between the pipes will only widen.

thanks for the report Ducman - I guess I should have asked you first if I could post your pics :wacko:

anyways - I'm glad you like them, and the more mods you do, the more they turn on - just like ya said. They can flow so much, you can really take advantages of all your other mods....

i just took my shee out for the first time on sunday to pismo beach with my new rocket pipes and you know what there great :D i noticed a big difference from my old t-5's way more bottom end and mid i dont even have to give it full twist on the gas before i fell the front end wanting to come up. i never tried cpi's and actually was goin to buy some but i just wanted to try something different and am satified. the only problem i have now is my jetting it feels a little flat on top end, what do think minkia? (or anybody else). i have pics to post, if somebody could show me how to do it.

anyone run cpi's?? id like to see a side by side comparison. im really interested in the rockets. im gonna be runnin the 4mill passion 12 port stroker here in about a week or so and im thinkin maybe my toomeys wont allow my 35mm carbs and cylinders to breathe very well. any info on this? post them pics if you have some. thanks. minkia, how much are they by the way?? id have to have chrome.