Not firing

Hey guys, first of all it's great to be back on line. Second, I have no idea what is going on with my shee. I road her for about 10min. the other day and shee ran fine. Went to crank her today and shee sounds funny. As if shee is not trying to fire, shee has spark, and when I try to give her some gas while trying to crank her, it makes that hollow poping or burping noise. She has spark, this is a new one for me, but I don't think shee is firing or igniting. Any suggestions would be great. Please help

Cary

fill up your gas tank you crazy nut :D

seriously tho.... you've determined that you have sparkage(thats a good thing, trust me.... I know) .... now you need to determine if your getting gas.

Your gastank has gas in it I assume :P so possibly you have a carb problem. You could pull your carbs off and clean em up\adjust the float height.

You could try pouring a very small amount of gas into the sparkplug hole and see if you can get it to ignite.

Spark plugs gapped correctly ? Tight sparkplug gap will make it hard to start when she's cold.

Compression check is always a good thing. Just check the compression only to rule out engine damage.

Try to troubleshoot your problems by starting with the most obvious and work by processs of elimination. Make sure your carbs and floats are PERFECT.... make sure your spark plugs are perfect..... make sure your reeds are perfect.... make sure your compression is acceptable..... and make sure you have gas in your tank :D

Edited by Meat

When you rode her the other day, how long did you warm it up?

What do your plugs look like?

This may sound stupid...but is your gas on/ have fuel? Make sure its getting fuel by detaching the fuel hose right from the carb..

Try that and also answer those few Q's...then we can work from there.

***EDIT***

The way it sounds, its flooded.. If you can do it easily, pull your pipes off and empty any gas that they have in them. (do this after youve check for gas of course.. ;) )

Edited by Hockey390

I let her warm up for a min. or so before I gave her the gas and 90 degree weather here in Alabama helps a little. Plugs are sloppy oily, I dried them off and tryed again and still nothing. I found a new spark plug and put it in and still nothing. I was mixing 24:1 and changed to 32:1, 4oz to 1gal. I turned the fuel on to see if fuel was coming out of the overflow tube and it did. I have the basic spark plugs NKG b8es, they come pre gapped. BTW, so I don't run all over town tomorrow serching like a blind-man, where can I get a compression tester????

Thx guys

Cary

Autoparts stores have them... Sounds to me like you might have cold seizures (sp?) it.. i would run a compression check and see where that leaves ya. My guess is that your compression is way low and you need to go up a size on the top end. But lets see where we are after you check the compression.

Is the fire weak,(orange) not blue?Find out what your compression is?Make sure the pilot jets are not clogged?If you have the tors on it,unplug it at the black box on the left hand side(statorside) under the gas tank. B)

Edited by geaux 4 it

Sears has decent compression testers for around $20-30 too.

Sounds to me like it's jetting; you say it's 90 degrees (higher temps make it run richer), and you went from 24:1 to 32:1 (24:1 has more oil so less fuel, when you changed ratios it made you richer), soooo I think you fouled a plug (sometimes they will still spark when you test them but won't when installed if they are starting to foul).

I'd try two fresh spark plugs, make sure the air filter is clean (if you didn't clean it after the last ride and it's filthy that makes you even richer), back out the airscrews a half turn (leaner) and try again. It never hurts to check the compression too, but if doing the above gets it started, you might want to verify your mains and make sure they aren't rich also. Good luck.

First of all you guys are a great help, I just want to thank you and say that you are very appreciated. OK, I have 110 psi on both cylinders with a stock engine. Only mods are +4 timing, K&N airfilter w/stock box, flywheel lightened. Filter is brand new. I'm going to ck a couple of other things and I will get back w/those results.

THX,THX,THX and THX,

CARY

• Like 1

Sure you don't have any slides sticking? This would cause it to try to start with the needle circuit and add a lot of available fuel and probably make it too rich to start. If it idled high like that, that could be a possibility. Pull your filter and check it.

woah now everyone... compression of 110? sounds to me like you need a top end rebuild.

Just had the EXACT same symptoms a month ago, checked everything...compression was at 110, rebuilt top end, fired right up. Plugs or jetting may not help, but you need a top end rebuild. chances are you did the same as I, didnt let it FULLY warm up before running her. "Cold Seizure"...pistons warm up faster then your sleeves, pistons heat up (get larger) sleeves are still cool...run it..kills your top end. At least thats what happend to me. BUT, if you want a 2nd oppinion go ahead, but I just had 115 PSI, went to fresh bore and now im at 160.

If I were to pull the head off would I know for sure that was my problem. I thought I might be OK w/my compression due to some of the other members had lower compression and their shees ran fine. What about the crankcase. Tell my what I need to do as for as eliminating top end or bottom end.

THX