Gas Prices

Biodiesel if produced at 100% capacity would only cut our oil dependency by about 10%.

At this point there is no replacement for oil.

We need more refineries. Until then, gas will continue to get more expensive. We simply cannot process it fast enough.

If you don't like it, ride a bike. That will lower the demand and the price will go down.

Gas keeps rising, and people keep buying as much of it as we can produce. Simply more demand than we can handle.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That whole bio-deisel needs refineries business is crap. I just saw a month ago on TV there is a kit you can buy to make it in your garage and it only costs about a buck a gallon. The only by-products are a little bit of french fry bits and glycerene that is so pure you can make soap out of it.

The other thing is you can run straight corn oil in a deisel as well. You just need to add a heater to preheat the oil to a certain temp to allow combustion. You can buy corn oil in 1 quart bottles at Aldi for 1.60. That is a completely sanitary bottle in a bottling plant packaged and shipped to a retailer. There is no way that corn oil is not already competative with fossil fuels. And I'll also bet that by next spring there would be enough corn, soy, peanut, acorn, olive, rape seed (canola) to supply the need of the deisel market in this country many times over. In fact it would probably compete very actively with the drug market in warmer climates since it would be a sanctioned industry that would not harm the environment.

And of course there's always ethanol/alcohol.

BTW thanks for the votes guys... but you won't see me running for any office. It goes against everything I stand for.

I guess I was wrong... it's 70 cents a gallon... http://freedomfuelamerica.com/

And a quick search turned these up...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...sg/14447028.cfm

http://www.greasel.com/General.html

http://www.greasel.com/Vehicle.html

veggie-fuel.org

vegpower.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7603085/

Anyway, I think you get the idea.

Edited by Holyman

Biodiesel if produced at 100% capacity would only cut our oil dependency by about 10%.

At this point there is no replacement for oil.

We need more refineries. Until then, gas will continue to get more expensive. We simply cannot process it fast enough.

If you don't like it, ride a bike. That will lower the demand and the price will go down.

Gas keeps rising, and people keep buying as much of it as we can produce. Simply more demand than we can handle.

411229[/snapback]

what would you say to refineries making enough fuel and have been doing so for the last 10 yrs.

yeah some other refineries would be nice but where do you suggest putting them.and how many do we need.

cause ks has fucking 3 of them all within 3 hrs from me. but as you claim they are not making enough fuel. please.

the big oil companys are making a killing. my dad works at one. 4million a day in profits. thats profits.

they phrase is ripping people off and make a killing. they can do it and get away with it.

by the way ks gas is cheaper now than oklahoma and oklahoma has 30cents less tax. explain that one.

That whole bio-deisel needs refineries business is crap. I just saw a month ago on TV there is a kit you can buy to make it in your garage and it only costs about a buck a gallon. The only by-products are a little bit of french fry bits and glycerene that is so pure you can make soap out of it.

The other thing is you can run straight corn oil in a deisel as well. You just need to add a heater to preheat the oil to a certain temp to allow combustion. You can buy corn oil in 1 quart bottles at Aldi for 1.60. That is a completely sanitary bottle in a bottling plant packaged and shipped to a retailer. There is no way that corn oil is not already competative with fossil fuels. And I'll also bet that by next spring there would be enough corn, soy, peanut, acorn, olive, rape seed (canola) to supply the need of the deisel market in this country many times over. In fact it would probably compete very actively with the drug market in warmer climates since it would be a sanctioned industry that would not harm the environment.

And of course there's always ethanol/alcohol.

BTW thanks for the votes guys... but you won't see me running for any office. It goes against everything I stand for.

411243[/snapback]

We throw away 20,000+ pounds of expended frying oil at my plant each month I can only imagine how much deisel that would make.

here in NJ where i live, gas has been rising about 25-30 cents a day if not more, for the last week straight

its $3.45 for regular here, the premium was like $3.75

for kids like me, goin to college and workin part time 20hours a week or so, this is nuts, i mean half a weeks pay goes towards GAS

i saw on the news lastnight

this time last year the national average in USA was $1.80 for regular

Why is gas still 17 cents a gallon in Venezuela?

The price of gas, is influenced more by the people buying it, such as panic situations, just remember September 11th. I bellieve its more about politics, and opec overlimiting oil production than demand or shortages.

just my opinion though.

Edited by bobbybonilla

The only difference between what Holyman and his supporters  :rolleyes: are saying and myself, is; I am not looking to the government to falsely support a alternative source, by injecting tax payers money into a specific market. I would leave it to the American people. This is the system I will support, supply and demand. When the market is developed in this manner, as apposed to the government injecting taxpayer money, it is a true market and will be supported by the people because they are the ones that allowed it to develop in the first place.

411736[/snapback]

I really hope you don't think that the government is not currently injecting billions of taxpayer dollars into fossil fuels. :huh:

The government is actively subsidizing fossil fuels with taxpayer dollars.

The other problem with getting alternative fuels off the ground is an unlevel playing field. You make it sound like your local BP, Shell, Amoco is going to put a corn oil pump in their stations just because someone wants it. NEVER gonna happen. For alternative fuels to ever get a realistic start, they will have to be mandated by law and since the law makers are well greased with dino-dollars, there is no way it's going to take the leap from do-able to practical.

If there was a corn oil pump at the local filling station and a deisel pump, the corn oil would outsell deisel. But Wendy's is never going to sell Big Mac's or Whoppers unless it is mandated by law and it's easy to keep the competition out when it costs millions of dollars to buy land and construct a single gas station. Especially when all they sell is corn oil.