Gas Prices

I disagree. It will happen without it being mandated. As prices increase, the demand for an alternative will increase. Think about it, it is the same for all products.

I understand that the government is involved in the oil industry. This is precisely why they should not be involved in the alternatives. Because of there involvement with the oil industry they are falsely inflating the product and interfering with supply/demand process. I say get the government out of everything!!! Have we not learned that the government will F*** up just about everything that they get involved with???

Have you noticed the price of housing lately? Is your answer going to involve the government mandating prices for housing, as well? After all, we all need a place to live.

Listen, if there was a market for corn oil, there would be corn oil stations popping up all over the country.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember paying $1.00 a gallon not all that long ago. Now gas is $3.00+ a gallon. When fuel costs rise 200% that is increase enough!

I agree the government will screw up everything as they have since time began.

The problem as I have mentioned is the competition with the big boys. There's a great little hotdog stand near me that would love to get bigger but he can't afford millions of dollars in property. Even if he has the greatest hotdogs in the world and grows like mad here, what good does that do you?

Alternative fuels will not find their way into the market ever because it would take a mass influx onto the market and a huge re-education of the public. Unless these "alternates" show up at the local filling station, they will never happen without government mandate.

I don't need Starbucks to run the country, etc. and I've never heard of Cold Stone so it may be the greatest thing in your part of the world but the last cold stone I saw was in the creek.

In fact if any of those companies stopped doing what they do, oh well. And Google doesn't cost anything so it's not a good choice for "market" conditions.

Consider this... the deisel engine... it was made to run on peanut oil. Now the politicians act like it's the end of the world if someone would do that today. :shrugani: In fact I didn't even know that the deisel was made to run on veggie oil until I decided to find out for myself. How is it possible that the whole reason for this engines existence is lost in less than 100 years? Because someone wants to sell dino[fuel instead of soybeans or corn. If you think about it, there are 10's of thousands of acres of oak trees all over the northern states that produce an excellent source of oil... acorns. These could be harvested with an almost zero negative impact on the environment and switch the power of oil to the good ol boys of Wisconsin and Minnesota and away from the desert dwellers.

But as the system is now, the "market" for oil effects every part of the world and every country has major stakes in it. There is no way the demands of the people will mean anything to the current oil producers. I haven't seen the price of Starbucks, Sketchers, or Saturns come down just because there's 7-11 coffee, fake Sketchers {which in my opinion are fake Doc Martens which also have not plummeted in price} or Daewoo's. I also don't see the price of Yamaha's coming down because the cheap Korean bikes are sold at Pep Boys. The fact is, people can brew alcohol in their garage and run their car on it. That isn't going to bring the price down on gasoline. I grew some zuchinni and beets in my garden this year for CHEAP, the price of the ones at the store actually went up. I guess they haven't demanded that fuel costs come down yet. And there must be someone paying what they're asking. And since I grow my own, I really don't have anything to say about the price.

There's a great little hotdog stand near me that would love to get bigger but he can't afford millions of dollars in property. Even if he has the greatest hotdogs in the world and grows like mad here, what good does that do you?

411856[/snapback]

This is why i brought up these other companies. Holyman is trying to say that the "little" guy cannot compete unless there is a mandate.

and not to mention, what does what happened in NO have to do with the price of fuel?? do we get oil from down there?? its a pretty big coincidence that when that shit happened fuel sky rockets isnt it?? and for what reason?? thats just more fuel fro everyone else, because people down there sure arent using it. but im sureas fuckin payin 3 bucks a gallon for it...

411968[/snapback]

Actually, we do get a large share of our fuel from down their and that is pecicly why the prices went up.

And you will continue to pay higher prices until you get to the point where bitching isn't enough and you actually change your habits, which in turn will steer the market, possibly to the point of an alternitive. I can't believe you guys don't understand this.

I agree the oil industry does have a huge hold on us. But, the reason for this is politicians. And you guys now want the politicians to get involved with an alternative. LISTIN, we need the politicians OUT, and the market to get back into control. This will NOT happen if the government gets involved, MORE.

I dont think things would totaly stop if we all the sudden ran out of gas next week.

Sure the demand for gas would be outrageous and most people would be out of jobs. I think it would be more like a world depression. then we will see leaps and bounds to make a new type of fuel and or energycell cars. Honda has already got a hydrogencell car up to 180 mph thats that a hundred more than i need. And if we start making the switch now before we run out we can sell ours to the nations that cant go hydrogen. This is just like that guy back in 2002 that was scraming about the levy in NEW ORLEANS if we would have address it then maybe there would have been as many dead and as much flooding.

gas prices are up for various reasons right now. for one, the panic demand thats going on by everyone freaking out and running to the pumps. not to mention the fact that something like 40% of our refineries are located in the gulf, if they cant refine the crude oil, we dont get gas. also some of the major pipelines that supply fuel to the east were damaged in the storm. all that drives prices up til repairs can be made. not everything is a big government conspiracy.

here in the state the republicans are calling for a temporary lift of the state gas tax, which will bring the price of gas down almost $ .30/gallon. the pinkos are crying cause it will leave a $40 million dollar budget shortfall, but lets fucking think about cutting spending so we can get rid of some of these taxes.

as far as alternative fuel sources, its being worked on, even big bad bush allows government funding for research etc. just takes time, you all act like you can just stick a pump in the ground and pour in veggie oil. doesnt work that way. and trust me, the money goes where the demand is. the oil companies are starting to get into these alternative fuel areas, they will adapt to the changes as they happen. but if you want joe schmoe farmer to make money off this...guess what...youre gonna have to be paying more than $ .70/gallon for it. you want the little guy to get rich but the big guys are evil for makin money on it?? then if the little guy gets rich, doesnt that make him a big evil business too??

i swear most of you just bitch to hear yourselves speak.

have fun boiling your fuckin nasty leftover grease in your garage, im sure anyone cares what good youre doin for the environment. cheap bastards.

20% of the us oil is refined in the gulf area.

oklahoma has 30 cent less tax than ks but there gas is higher in ok right now than ks. explain that.

the pinkos are crying cause it will leave a $40 million dollar budget shortfall, but lets fucking think about cutting spending so we can get rid of some of these taxes.

hows the federal debt going right now. sure looks like its getting smaller :shootself: that tax cut FOR THE RICH sure has help the economy and everyone out. my taxes went up every yr. so dont tell me i got a tax break i have proof. i didnt go up in my tax bracket either.

bio diesel is becoming more popular and cheaper. it will get cheaper and easier to get.

as for the small guys getting rich, whats wrong with that. the big companies and ceo have been fucking over the little man for yrs. ENRON

look at walmart the waltons are multi billionaires, but the workers are below poverty with their wages. and dont have good health benefits.

theirs a fine line between making huge profits and starving your workers. cause if your a worker and have no money. how you going to support the economy.

by the way the el dorado refinery in ks is making 4.2 million a day now

the one in coffeyville ks is make 3.4 million.

GO BIG OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by wesw

i didnt say the little man shouldnt get rich, im all for that. i just dont think u should call the big man evil solely for being rich, when u want the little guy to be rich too. its hypocritical.

and the waltons of walmart should be rich, he built a huge empire from NOTHING (sam walton was a little man) and the CEOs run that empire today, which is no small task, so they should get paid well. and last i checked, people who work at wal mart make damn good money for the job they do, and get great bennies.

we work for pay man. pay you get is based on skill level, experience, etc etc etc if you dont like what you make, do something else.

working is a privelage, not a right.