Heim Joints Vs Ball Joints

tbd

I've heard of heims breaking in MX. I haven't tried heims myself. I have had problems with the new style ball joints that require no spindle reaming that LSR and other a-arm manufactures use. They don't have enough length on the taper so there isn't enough clearance for the grease boot and you might have problems with the boots splitting or getting holes pinched in them. I am going to a 2+1 A-arms that have Raptor upper ball joints. I think it will be the best way to go in my opinion just more expensive.

I got the heims.They are ok,they require more mantianance than a ball joint.I myself have had one lower heim come apart on me on the track but the nut backed off the lower side.As for taking care of them you need to spray some wd40 or something like it on them after a wash to keep them from squeeking .The ball joint is sealed for the most part you just need to grease them if they have a fitting.I have seen lsr ball joint brake on the track but they were on raptors and a blaster.The shaft broke at the arm.It really just matters what you want and trust.

Depending on hardware used, there is a different application for both. Ball joint style pieces have higher feasible angles than a heim style rod end. However, you can get igh angle heim style rod ends, but they are pricey. This is what is used on most ATV front ends that use a heim style rod end.... Cost wise, you can't beat a ball joint. If you want strength, go for a high angle heim style rod end. But, they are a little more on the pocket book. Myself, I wouldn't use a taper lock anything. I would drill it out and run a bolt through it. Cheaper for me that way. :huh:

Um..Heims are lined with teflon..WD-40 contains petrolium distilates..Petrolium distilates ruin teflon. They cause it to swell. Your best bet with Teflon is to run it until it's no good and replace. Clean it with Alcohol and or mild detergent and water.

Heims are NOT all lined with teflon. And they are not in fact "heims" at all. Heim joints are dubbed that because of a company by the name of Heim that manufactured rod ends and was popular. Myself, I use "Aurora" rod ends. Excellent strength, and I have never had one break. There are a ton of manufacturers out there that make them. Heim joints can be lined with Steel, they can have different balls in them, from mild steel to ball bearing steel, to pretty much anything. You can order maintenance free teflon lined rod ends, or you can order brass lined rod ends, whatever suits your fancy. I am partial to the teflon lined ones. They are no mess. Bronze lined you have to grease. That makes a mess......

the heims at the spindle on my quicksand arms had alittle play in them after a couple months for me. not alot but just enough to notice. when they get too loose i am going to see about sealed ball joints instead. I think i ride in too much gnarly stuff for unsealed hiems.