Hard Starting...

After many readings on the subject, I have a problem. My wife can start her banshee when it is cold but after riding a bit she can't get it to start when warm. :cry: I can start it with faster kicking speed :rolleyes: and she of coarse gets mad since I have not fixed the problem :wacko: . So here is my question, a stater or CDI or something else??? Fuel is not a issue, have been checked and weather is not a issues so far as I can tell. Thanks :cheers:

How much compression does the Banshee have? How hard is it for you to start? A little bump in compression from a milled head and advancing the timing a few degrees might help out to a point. If you put a milled head or aftermarket head on your wife might have a harder time.

Try bumpin' up the pilots one size... really easy to start; however, it may run a tad rich when warm. Fixes one problem, creates another... up to you. Oh yeah check to make sure yous' gots' healthy comp.

Usually just the pilot. Have your wife hold the gas in when trying to start it warm. Should fire right up.

Yep, I was at the dunes the other weekend. Shee was running great. We all stopped to take a break and afterwards, shee wouldn't start back up. It was running good so I was like WTF! Then I thought, if the pilot's clogged, then it should start by holding open the throttle, more or less, pulling fuel from another circuit. Tried it and she fired up first kick. Got back to camp, cleaned the jets out and you'd never know there was a problem.

Moral of the story - starting problems are usually attributed to the pilot. If it's starting hard then look there.

We all have inline filters... there are two in the tank. One for the reserve and one for the normal setting. Who knows the quality of them though.

I pulled the petcock and cut those off. I then put a new inline filter in line with the fuel line so I can see what's being stopped.

I have checked the pilots and did all the checks that have been suggested, but no change. Compression is the same on both sides and at 130psi. I'm not sure if advancing the timing would would fix it, and does it change the way the bike reacts and does it make the starting better? All questions I don't have answers to. PLease help me out with these new questions. :blink:

I can't believe no one has figured this out....Your pilot is too big...You must be running a 27.5 or most likely a 30 pilot...It starts great when cold, because your shee requires more fuel when cold. Starts hard when warm because its too rich and your flooding it out, thats why opening the throttle will help it start, your giving it more air and changing the air/fuel ratio to whatever the needles are allowing at 1/4 throttle.....Lower your pilots...you should have to use the choke when cold, and will start up great when warm w/o the choke.... :cheers:

I had smaller pilots in it and it ran shitty and would not start. We upped the pilot and it runs better and will kick. I know the carbs are clean as can be since I just cleaned them again this weekend out at the dunes and have cleaned the tank prior to leaving. :blink: The choke thing is fine for cold, but when warm I choke for a kick or two and normal with starting. We tried opening the throttle some and it was flooding it out and was bad news :shootself: . I have a starting problem.... :whoa: does anyone have a better clue, I'm guessing it is stator, or timing of some sorts, or what?? <_< Thanks for a thrid time.

I had smaller pilots in it and it ran shitty and would not start. We upped the pilot and it runs better and will kick. I know the carbs are clean as can be since I just cleaned them again this weekend out at the dunes and have cleaned the tank prior to leaving. :blink: The choke thing is fine for cold, but when warm I choke for a kick or two and normal with starting. We tried opening the throttle some and it was flooding it out and was bad news :shootself: .  I have a starting problem.... :whoa:  does anyone have a better clue, I'm guessing it is stator, or timing of some sorts, or what??  <_<  Thanks for a thrid time.

My buddies wouldn't start I tried everything pilots,fuel,carbs....

It turned out to be the stator crapped out.....

Just like u said kick real fast and sometimes it would start!!!

My guess is like u said stator....

I had a similar prob with my 94 Shee. It progressively got worse. Finally one day after about an hour of riding, I took a 15 min break, and the bike would not start at all. Not even a tow would start it. Turned out the ignition module was on its last leg. Installed a Dyna ignition and have never had that prob again. You might try swapping modules with a known good one and see what happens.

Just a thought...

when warm I choke for a kick or two

You do NOT use the choke when the bike is warm. it isn't actuallly a chok. It draws a ridiculous amount of fuel right out of the bowl, unregulated, no jets. You are flooding it on the first kick..... And if that bike has the 35 pilots you list in your sig, that is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd drop to 27.5. I run 320 mains and 27.5 pilot in my bike, and it starts great, warm or cold....

I dropped the pilots back to 32.5's, I just haven't updated that part. The starting is worse like the carbs are running out of fuel, so choke it and for one kick, then I kick it (which is faster than the wife), and it starts right up. :o I guess that I'm not putting the best information forward, I'll start with some of teh stator issues and maybe advance the timing. Possible lightening of the flywheel will help her kick it. She's a small 105lb. girl that is a super model look a like. :P Thanks